Canadian $20 for $20

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by McBlzr, Nov 9, 2014.

1. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I still think this is a neat series even though there is only about 1/4 oz. of silver per coin.

I guess it is the Coin Collecter in me, not the investor ;)

100_5864.JPG 100_5865.JPG

100_5866.JPG 100_5867.JPG

100_5868.JPG

Canadian_20_for_20_Xmas_2014.JPG

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. petro89

petro89 Member

I like some of these and have the ones I like. I think I'll grab a couple of these...one for me and one for my lady. She'll think its cute, which means I'll be able to buy a few more coins for myself. :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Cute. It's the never-ending issues, repetitive or uninspired designs and silver content that are slowly causing the series (if you can really call it that) to require TV infomercials for the first time. Going back a few issues, they had no problem selling out in a month. Now, it takes 6 months to a year to clear the inventory. The original exchange $20 for $20 gimmick was well timed and beautifully advertised. Now it is overkill, here, north of the border.

One more thing, to aid the sell out, they started to reduce the mintages from 250 000, to 225 000 and now 200 000 (like the very first coin).

5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Canada needs to get that lady off their coins. Its a horrible obverse design.

petro89 and Taxidermist like this.
  6. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

YES.

7. petro89

petro89 Member

I used to joke about the wildlife series and say things like "look, theres a wood bison on the reverse, and a bulldog on the obverse". Tehehe...

bkozak33 likes this.
  8. torontokuba

Agreed. I wonder if Big Ears or William will be the next effigy.

This whole series shows how uninspired and dull our subject matter is on coins. Either our history is too short and the RCM puts out way too many issues, or political correctness along with dullness are behind most issues.

9. petro89

petro89 Member

[​IMG] Maybe if they changed it to a likeness of the queen from back in the day... :woot:

treylxapi47 and bkozak33 like this.
  10. torontokuba

11. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I dont understand the worlds obsession with the royal family. As far as I'm concerned they are the nothing but the worlds largest family of welfare recipients.

Taxidermist and Jwt708 like this.
  12. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

off topic, but from a purely economic standpoint, the presence of the Royal family results is a great deal of tourist money flowing into the UK. If England was a pure paramilitary democracy, why would you go there? The food? the Hotels?

13. torontokuba

... the weather?;)

petro89 and Cringely like this.
  14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

How cruel !

Q

15. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

I do love auto spell. "paramilitary" was supposed to be parliamentary. Sorry

chrisild likes this.
  16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Hehe. :) But the UK and Canada (plus a few more countries where Elizabeth is the head of state) are parliamentary democracies. In many countries the head of state (king/queen or president) has a primarily representational "job".

Side note: In the UK, Elizabeth's portrait on circulation coins will be updated next year. Canada uses a different effigy anyway, so they may do it too, or may not do it ...

Christian

17. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

They could replace her with the Canada Coat of Arms that is used on the half dollar. I think that would look nice. As for the $20 for $20. I have all of them and like most of them. The latest snowman is marginal.

18. McBlzr

Just got the first of the 2015 coin in this series :happy:

100_6147.JPG 100_6148.JPG 100_6149.JPG

19. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

20. McBlzr

Just gotta have Superman !

100_6652.JPG 100_6655.JPG

halloween-doll10.gif

Draft saved Draft deleted