Canadian 1859 Large Cent - Possibly 65a + J23a, PC59-65a2. If so...is that good?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Dough, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Dough

Dough My brain is open

I thought the VAM-pires and Bust Half Nuts were serious before I fell down the Victoria Large Cent rabbit hole. The information available for the 1859 alone is overwhelming, and I might have gotten ahead of myself by starting at vickycents.com.

Can one of you knowledgeable folks tell me if this example is anything special in terms of variety and value?

Is there an authoritative reference for the series?

Thank you.

1859 1c Date detail - RAW.jpg
    1859 1c RAW.jpg 1859 1c RAW-2.jpg

asheland, JBGood and Paddy54 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Sorry, I don’t know zip about the Canadian large cent varieties, I ran into the same dilemma not too long ago looking up a small collection that a buddy had. Those varieties are very difficult to attribute and they don’t seem to really change the value (at least the small few that I looked into). But if you think those guys are nuts, you should read some of the early US copper books; total information overload.

4. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Yes - we have the same problem with British bronze coinage - particularly in the 1860s. The thing is, a minor difference can change a coin's value from a few pounds to several thousand!
    Can't help you with Canadian coins though - I am sure someone will be able to tell you soon enough.

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I would do a dip on this coin and then verdicare nice specimen.

Dough likes this.
  7. Rick Stachowski

8. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Although it looks like something inside the loop of the 9, all DP#5's have a huge die crack starting at the R in Regina and then traveling both ways after more striking by the die. A better look at a magnified 9 would help greatly.

Dough and Paddy54 like this.
  9. Rick Stachowski

upload_2017-12-31_5-46-3.jpeg

asheland and Paddy54 like this.
  10. Rick Stachowski

It also looks like the crack is running up the left side of the straight leg of the " R " too ..

11. Rick Stachowski

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too Bill ..

12. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

I love these big old coppers. Yours is pretty. Keep it and love it!

asheland likes this.
  13. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

The die crack on the DP#5 starts at the denticle, then goes through the top on the left side of the R, then travels left toward Gratia 2/3 of the way up the vertical left side of the R. The crack to the right goes back through the Regina. The heaviest/deepest cracks are upper left of the R at and just below the serif.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  14. Dough

Dough My brain is open

I pulled it from the flip and ordered some Verdi-Care. I'll post new images after the gunk is gone.

Happy New Year!

20171231_125520.jpg
    20171231_125204.jpg
    20180101_131827.jpg

Attached Files:

asheland likes this.
  15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Are these images after an acetone soak?

16. Rick Stachowski

Hopefully Bill will come back ..

17. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I don't think that it's a #5. I've seen at least 30 of them(I've had 10) and all had the heavy D/C's starting at the R in Regina. The part inside the loop looks too high up and not linear .. it doesn't look right.

18. Dough

Dough My brain is open

No. I removed it from the 2x2 flip I bought it in and took detailed pictures through a microscope. Some of that white debris was from the flip and the lighting I use for the microscope is not full spectrum.

I still need to give it a Verdi-Care treatment. As you noted, this coin needs some help. I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw the close ups.

Paddy54 likes this.
  19. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

20. Dough

Dough My brain is open

The RE is free of verdigris and debris. There's definitely a crack a lacking.
    Now the 9 looks like the only number that isn't re-punched. Such an interesting coin. I must get more examples. :hungry:

20180112_230549.jpg

20180112_231710.jpg

21. GUSTAVO LARRANAGA

GUSTAVO LARRANAGA New Member

if you Verdi Care this coin would this coin be considered "cleaned" and its value affected? Btw what a difference what steps did you take on this?

Draft saved Draft deleted