Canada's LAST Penny to be struck on Friday

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Melina, May 3, 2012.

1. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

$11 million out of a few trillion dollar budget. Waste of time.
    Plus that last part "round prices in a fair, consistent, and transparent manner" is like asking major American corporations not to be insanely greedy: not happenin'.

I wonder what they are gonna do with the last one.

4. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

Ok so now what about all the Canadian cents I have or will get? Do I save them, or What.?

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Try $11 million out of $276 billion dollar budget. Yeah still peanuts but every little bit helps and the Canadian budget deficit is only $21 billion.

6. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

I see one of two things happening in 2015 with the US's cents. New composition or just gone. When all of these activists say that get rid of the nickel too, that baffles me. The nickel is still a good coin.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes it is a good coin, but it costs more than five cents to produce. It would be possible to change the composition to make it cheaper for a little while, but only with great disruption to the vending machine industry. Most likely requiring the changing the coin mechanism of every vending machine in the US. And since the bills calling the a composition change require minimal disruption I don't see how you can do it unless you define total disruption as "minimal". The only composition change I can see that would not disrupt the vending machines and would result in a cost of less than face value would be nickel plated copper. That would work with no changes needed and would have a cost of about 4.5 cents per coin. but as you can see that would only be a temporary fix.

8. mgk920

mgk920 Nonhyphenated-American

9. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

The regular press operator should have pushed the button again just for kicks :D

"Oops, sorry, that's not the last one!"....."Oops, sorry!"....."Oops!"......"Oops!"

10. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

I think they could make a killing! Put it in a fancy box and sell it a an insane premium. Or, they could even have waited till next year and only made one 2013 cent. Imagine the price!

11. mgk920

mgk920 Nonhyphenated-American

From what I have seen, that last C$0.01 coin will be placed on permanent display in a national museum.

Mike

12. Drago the Wolf

Drago the Wolf Junior Member

13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

No. :D

Christian

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

maybe with a glow in the dark plastic cent

Draft saved Draft deleted