Canada items FS this week

Discussion in 'Auction Listings' started by jello_g, Feb 21, 2005.

1. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

If you're interested in Canada, please have a look at my auctions ending this week:

Canada One Cent BU Rolls - 1960, 1963, 1967
    1954 Canada BC-43c $100 Lawson-Bouey AU
    1957 Canada Penny ICCS MS-64 Red
    1965 Canada Dime ICCS PL-65 Heavy Cameo
    1951 Canada Commemorative Nickels AU+ Roll
    1962 Canada Quarter ICCS MS-63 Heavy Cameo
    1962 Canada Half ICCS PL-65
    1965 Canada Silver Dollar Type 2 SmBds Blt 5 ICCS PL-64

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jello_g,they are nice coins from Canada.Is the $100 note one with the Devil's Head in the hair of the Queen?

4. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

Thanks Aidan. I sell these items from my personal collection only because I have better replacements!

As for the $100 note, it is the Modified Portrait that came after the Devil's Face print run. I really don't know the hoopla surrounding the Devil's Face -- I've looked all these years and can never see a devil in there!

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jello_g,the Devil is not in the Queen's face.It is actually in her hair towards the back.The interesting thing about the Devil's head type was the fact that it was actually copied from the original
    photograph.The Devil's head also exist on the Star (replacement) notes.I reckon that the Devil's head notes of all values,including the $1,should attract a premium.I have got very little in the way of Canadian notes,as they are so difficult to find out here in New Zealand.Have you got both the 1967 Canadian Confederation Centenary $1 notes? I have got these,plus the 1937 Gordon/Towers $1 note,but no 25c. shinplasters,I'm afraid.

6. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

Yes, I realize it's not in the Queen's face. It's called Devil's Face because I imagine there is a devil's "face" in the Queen's hair. I say imagine because people must have a vivid imagination to see a devil in there. That, or I'm blind. I must be blind since all the experts say there's a devil in there. Here, you be the judge, 2 notes from my collection, devil's face on the left and modified hair on the right:

[​IMG]

The differences are readily apparent, but do you really see a devil's face in there? Perhaps somebody with a wild imagination can trace out the devi's face for me?

There are actually several variants of the 1967 note, based on prefix in the serial number. Asterisk replacements were also printed for this series, but they command a large premium.

Don't really have a thing for shinplasters myself (I might change my mind if I ever get a hold of a high quality example). I think the 1937 series is beautiful.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The devil ?? Hmmmm - looks like the logo for the Cleveland Indians to me :D

8. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jello_g,have you ever had any of the 1935's,which also has a $25 denomination as a commemorative.
    The other interesting thing about the 1935's is that
    the series is actually 2 sets - in English,& a separate series in French.

9. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

No, never had any 1935's in my collection. They are great notes are they not! If I crank up my budget substantially these notes may be obtainable but not now unfortunately..

Here's another look at a devil's face:

[​IMG]

10. cmbdii

cmbdii New Member

I can see where they mean and it is just hoopla for sure,
    Look at the right side bottom third and you will see his nose bulging out and his eyes above it.

11. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jello_g,that is a nice note.Have you got any 'Devil's Head' notes with a star at the end of the serial number?

12. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHHHH!!!

I wish I had.

13. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

Hey, I think I can make it out now!

It has an eerie resemblance to a caricature my psych professor presented in class many years ago -- a picture of a pretty girl, that when flipped 180 degrees turns into a picture of an old hag!

I still don't think it looks like a devil. Maybe we should call them old hag notes.

14. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jello_g,have you ever had the 1904 5 Dinara silver crown from Serbia? Well,when you flip it 180 degrees,you can make out a portrait of the assassinated King Alexander Obrenovic in the design.

15. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

Aidan, I'm not a collector of world coins so really have no clue what the Serbian coin looks like. Can you throw up a pic?

16. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Sorry,Jello_g,I am using a borrowed computer,which does not even have a digital camera attached.If you have got any Zimbabwean banknotes,including the Bearer Cheque emergency banknotes,please let me know.