Canada has a $20 coin!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinKeeper, Feb 6, 2011.

1. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

But those cost four times the face value, whereas the one that CoinKeeper showed us can be had at face ...

Christian

5. CoinKeeper

Exactly

6. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Were those a full ounce each? how nice. I noticed the mintage limits.

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

As for why they issued those at face ... guess that this way they can attract new collectors/customers. Either because people "buy" this issue (and then may buy other precious metal coins), or because of the media coverage. :) In any case, a nice idea!

Christian

8. goossen

goossen Senior Member

Very interesting, but no international orders. :(

9. SilverCeder

SilverCeder Active Member

It weighs less than 8 grams so its about a quarter ounce. So you are buying 1/4 ounce of silver for $20.00.......... I know you are paying what its worth as far as face value, but who wants to part with a real silver coin at the store for face value? I wonder what the Canadians have up their sleeves with this deal? Lol

10. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Makes sense!

11. Porsche2007

Porsche2007 Senior Member

It is obvious that they are making a profit, since the coins cost them much less than 20 CAD to produce. They probably used some silver that was acquired when silver was quite cheap. Besides, knowing that its face value is more valuable than its melt value, people wouldn't care about spending them.
    I acknowledge it as a simple and quick way to sell all 200,000 coins they may have.

12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I'd love to have one.

13. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Isn't this dangling the bait. LOL Coinkeeper, clean out your mail box , I can't reach you.

14. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

15. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

so if you live in the US ... you cannot order it ... that's too bad

i suppose if we try to buy it from a canadian coin dealer ... they'll charge us $30

16. CoinKeeper

Box emptied.

17. fiftypee

fiftypee Member

Didn't France do something similar a few years ago? They offered silver and gold euro coins at Face value. The government gets the seignorage, and the public gets a cool coin they like. Re: The $20 coin, I love the Maple Leaf design on it. Very neat. I won't be buying one though, unless I can also spend it in a store, and watch the 17 year old cashiers mind being blown away in great confusion. Ha! Ha!

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Sort of. Between 2008 and 2010 they issued a series of silver and gold coins at face, such as this piece:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Each denomination showed the Sower, the sun and stars in different positions. And yes, even the gold pieces (Au920 or 999.9) could be had at face. The silver pieces too, but that is something that various European countries do all the time. And of course, the precious metal value at the time when the pieces are issued is below the face value ...

Christian

19. Player11

Player11 Bullish

They are ahead of USA with coins which use the same old denominations that buy less year after year.

20. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

I find it to be just another government rip off :eek:

21. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

My wife's parents live in Canada. We were visiting last weekend and I happened to look at the RCM website. There are 3 on the way. Two for me and one for dad. Free shipping too. I hope he gives them to me :)

Draft saved Draft deleted