Canada $5 Gold 1912-1914

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Teddydogno1, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

I really like this coin and would like to add one to my collection. They do seem to sell for a bit of a premium over melt. "Sold" listings on eBay show some that have sold for as little as $365 to up to nearly $1000 (NOT including the more scarce 1914s). I know many of these were sold quite recently out of stocks from the Bank of Canada. Those certified from there seem to get quite a bit more at sales time. Can anyone in the know on these lovely gold coins comment on this? If I'm buying for my collection, should I go with a BofC certified coin? Also, are there many known counterfeits of these? If so, then I should stick to graded/certified (which I am inclined to do on this anyway).

Anyway...is $460 too much for an NGC MS63 1913? Thanks for any discussion on this subject.

Rob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I don't collect any of the Canadian gold, but have a number of collector friends and dealers who dabble. The prices for the recent vault sale coins have lowered the prices for those not from the hoard. There is a glut right now of them and most people who bought the new ones are sitting on them or trying to sell at a price that they want. Shop around on the secondary market and you'll find a deal somewhere, especially up here North of the border.

As far as I know, they have not been copied, but it only takes the Chinese or European crooks to laser a new die and start striking. All it takes is a single coin in their hands to copy the coin, start the process and reel in the profits.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

Rob: I do collect Canadian coins. I recently purchased a raw 1967 CAD$20 gold at slightly above melt. The melt price was determined using KITCO.com which lists the SPOT price, not the three month futures. That said, I have found very reasonable prices from dealers and individual on Collectors Universe, a site found on the PCGS web.

I consider myself a novice collector, trying to learn as much as possible. Web sites like Coin Talk and Collector's Universe are great forums for learning. Go to the shows and meet dealers. Buy a out of print book on Amazon entitled "Standard Grading Guide for Canadian and Colonial Decimal Coins by James Charlton and Robert Wiley. It is very instructive. Lastly, ask questions.

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

can1912a.jpg can1912b.jpg The Canadian gold coins from that era are great collectibles. I had the entire 6-coin set at one time, and sold-off all of them except the nicest coin, which just happened to be the 1912 Canadian $10 in MS62. This was several years before the hoard arrived on the scene.

Turns-out the one coin I kept, is the only one that wasn't well represented in the hoard. Used to be the 1914 Canadian $5 was far and away the most scarce of the 6 coins in this two denomination set. I'm not so sure of that anymore. Finding nice examples of the 1912 $10 has become much more difficult, since all the others became much more available. I would go so far as to say it has replaced the 1914 $5 as the key in the series in the lower mint-state grades.

On a side note, only the 1912 dated coins were struck in gold from the Klondike deposit, with all the 1913 and 1914 coins containing gold mined in Ontario.

The very most common coin in the set would have to be the 1913 $5 which is available up to MS63 at a modest premium above melt.

onecenter likes this.
  6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I adore Canadian coinage and participated heavily in the release of the Canadian gold from the Bank of Canada. In all, I purchased 100 of the $10 gold pieces all dated 1913 or 1914 as well as a much smaller number of $5 gold pieces all also dated 1913 or 1914. On average, the quality of these coins was much higher than those previously on the market, but that makes sense since approximately 230,000 pieces were examined and the nicest 20,000 or so (spread among the two denominations and three years of issue) were sold into the market. The remaining pieces were melted.

The holdings were known about for quite a while, though the specific date and denomination distribution was not known, as far as I can tell. Also, the overall quality was not generally known, either. Therefore, the price of these coins in the market was always slightly depressed since the overhanging population held it down.

Of the 100 $10 gold coins, I sold 88 very quickly and kept 12 for myself as bullion, which is what I also do for US Liberty gold. Only six of the $5 coins came my way and all these I kept, too, but they would be very easy to sell. Prices varied wildly for my coins, which were all MS62 (three pieces) through MS64 (one piece) and went from $1,000 per coin to $2,600 per coin. Of course, I sold my inventory largely in the first quarter of last year when bullion was a bit higher and few folks had delivery from the RCM.

7. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

Tom as usual you provide great information. Let me know if any of you will be in NYC for the International Numismatic Convention - January 8 through 11th. I will be there on Friday January 9th. John

8. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Some of those $10 pieces looked beautiful, very tempting. Here's the NGC census. I can imagine that the hoard affected the prices:

Because of potential copy right violations, I revised this post.

The deleted chart showed that the 1913 and 1914 Bank of Canada Hoard swamped the previously certified $10 coins (8:1) and (more than 9:1). The 1912 census was almost doubled.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  9. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

For completeness sake, here's the $5 NGC hoard on NGC:

Because of potential copy right violations, I revised this post.

The deleted chart showed that the Canadian Hoard increased the NGC census of certified 1913 coins by about 30% and almost doubled the 1914 coin census. The 1912 census only increased by about 20%. For NGC-certified coins, at least, the impact of the Canadian Hoard is statistically less for the $5 coin than the $10.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    princeofwaldo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted