Canada 1885 one cent

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by silentnviolent, Mar 28, 2015.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Has to be Tooled since none were minted in 1885.. Kind of twisting to the left a bit

4. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I'm fairly certain it's an 1886 that's been tooled, based on the location of the 6. Adding in the curvature visible to the N and the shinier area there, I think that's it. I like it!

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

6. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

It looks like it was done a long time ago. Like someone with OCD was assembling a set and could not handle it :)

J.A.K., mlov43, jj00 and 2 others like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Haha!

8. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

No such thing as an 1885 or 1889 (which would have been easier to make into a 5). Someone took an 1886 and massaged it into an 1885. A nice conversation piece and the person actually did a pretty good job of it. If he would take a little artificial toner to it to even out the color a little, it would look even better.

9. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

It's very obvious that the "5" was tooled with some sharp instrument. I am no expert; but I would put my money on it. :wideyed:

10. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

The 1885 Green18 is a Newfoundland, mintage of 40,000. It looks legitimate to me. Some of the other dates in the series show some "low" numbers. Not unusual, it is worth about 30 - 40 dollars. But download.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  11. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

No Canadian 1885 large cent. Someone had a lot of time on their hands to create the 1885 object!!

12. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

dont think its the real deal Holey Field

13. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

You said "tool"

14. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Definitely altered from a genuine Victorian Canadian cent. The metal of the last numeral in the date has be "Chased" into the shape of a "5". Possibly from a 6.

Draft saved Draft deleted