can you tell me what these ancient coins are?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by old49er, May 5, 2016.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. Good morning. I got these coins for 20 dollars, from a friend who inherited his fathers collection. I have no idea what they are. but I really like them. these were the ones that looked the best to me. he has a lot of others too. I think I may start an ancient coin collection. really cool. thanks for any feedback... ancient coins obverse.jpg ancient coins reverse.jpg

stevex6, Alegandron and Mikey Zee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Constantine era "GLORIA EXERCITVS " coins. Common enough coins, but good coins to start collecting Ancients. These three are worn, but you can find these in much better condition for around the same price.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Alegandron and old49er like this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I also noticed at least one is an AVG and a NOBC (both seem
    to read Constantius, the eldest son of Constantine)---the former denotes Constantius as Augustus and the other as Caesar or heir to the purple....I can't make out the third.

Alegandron and old49er like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I think you did OK for $20. Common yes, but better then buying a expensive slabbed coin and the coin itself that isn't worth $20.

noname, Mikey Zee and old49er like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Constantius II was the third son and second still alive when these coins were issued. The eldest was Crispus who Constantine killed before the two soldiers coins were issued. The second son was Constantine II (Constantinus) of whom you have one coin issued while his father was alive and one after the three boys were made Augustus when dad died. The youngest son was Constans. Your less attractive coin is a Constantine I (the father) and is slightly older than the other two since it has two standards on the reverse as used on coins before a weight standard reduction.

Enjoy.

Mikey Zee and old49er like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted