Can you tell a date on coin by looking at it?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Murillo, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Murillo

Murillo Active Member

Hello everyone, was wondering if someone could possibly look at these coins and know the year? This is a challenge for sure but I posted a coin a few weeks ago which had no date and sorry can't remember persons name but they were able to identify the year which was amazing!

So I thought I would post pictures of these coins hoping someone would have an idea what the dates are? Greatly appreciate it!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

1st coin looks like Napoleon. Without size I can't do much beyond that. Somewhere between 1804-1814 probably.
    2nd coin is Victoria 6 Pence. Somewhere between 1838-1868.
    3rd coin is Canadian Victoria 10 cents. Somewhere between 1858-1901
    4th coin is 1832.

4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Hoarder of Metallic Disks of Various Sizes

I agree with @furryfrog02 on his prognosis. However, I believe that the Canadian dime might be an 1882H based on the photos or it might simply a case of numismatic pareidolia.

Murillo and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Hi. Seems like you have a nice small lot of dime-sized coins.

Coin #1 is a 1 Franc of Napoleon I, The reverse (back) is too worn to tell its date unfortunately, though it would have been made in the very early 1800's.

Coin #2 is a British sixpence of Queen Victoria, unfortunately it is also too worn out but since it is a younghead portrait, meaning it is most likely from the mid 1800's (many were made in the 1860s).

Coin #3 is an 1872 H Canadian dime, also with the portrait of young Queen Victoria.

And lastly Coin #4 is an 1821 Capped Bust Dime.

Hope this helps, have a nice day.

Murillo likes this.
  6. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I go along with most of the above, though the capped bust dime looks like 1822 to me.
    I might do better with the Victoria Sixpence but the picture crops off the remains of the date - at the bottom on the reverse.

Murillo likes this.
  7. Murillo

Murillo Active Member

Experts on this site are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Can't believe many can tell a date on a coin just by looking at it, so glad I was able to join this site. I found a pouch with a bunch of old coins (not in very good condition) but wanted to find out as much as could about them as to write information down for my children. Everyone have a great day & again THANK YOU!!

YoloBagels likes this.
  8. YoloBagels

Shoot you may be right about that one, I'm sure @NSP could help us out.

9. YoloBagels

And for anyone who was wondering about the Canadian dime

Untitled.png

Mind my tracing I am not Saint Gaudens.

10. Murillo

Murillo Active Member

:wideyed: WOW! Again you experts are amazing to actually see this date on the dime. Thank you!! UNBELIEVABLE!!

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Not taking anything from @YoloBagels he did a great job, but do you see the little H mm at the bottom of the wreath? There are only 9 Victorian dimes with the H mm and the were minted between 1871-1890. If you look hard, you can see the 8 as the second digit (18xx). The 3rd digit is too narrow to be an 8, so it must be a 7 or 9. There's a chance it could be a 9, but the only H that fits is 1890 and the last digit doesn't look like a 0.

So that leaves us with 1871H, 1872H, 1874H, and 1875H. So it comes down to what you think the remnant of the last digit looks like. It seems too wide for a 1, so now you're left with 3 choices.

I think the last digit is a 4, making it a 1874H. I looked at the dimes in my collection and the 4 has a crosslet which I think resembles the last digit more than a 2. However, it's so worn, it could still be a 2 or 5.

Just need a good reference book and compare it to some existing coins or internet pics.

YoloBagels and Paddy54 like this.
  12. Murillo

Murillo Active Member

Decided to take more pictures out of curiosity to see what you might have seen. I see the H and it appears the date is 1874 and I found what looks like m's Thanks again.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted