Can you spot the fake?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gam3rBlake, Jul 21, 2021.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

There has been more than one example shared on this forum, from people's personal experience, of Lanz refusing to honor such guarantees even when the entire world appears to agree that a coin is fake. It seems that the most he's willing to do is resell the coin on the buyer's behalf.

Perhaps if you added "reputable" before "ancient coin dealers or auction houses," your statement might be accurate!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hrefn

Hrefn Well-Known Member

I recently returned a solidus to a major auction house (not Heritage) which I determined was a match for a counterfeit previously published by the International Bureau for the Suppression of Counterfeits. I received a full refund and fulsome apology. I chose not to reveal the precise auction house because they responded in a most professional and gentlemanly fashion, and we all make mistakes. Earlier in my history of the hobby I purchased a solidus from another enterprise which was determined to be a counterfeit by the Numismatic Institute in Vienna. Again, my money was promptly refunded.

An excellent resource is the following. http://www.forgerynetwork.com/

Third party graders and reputable auction houses have admirable expertise but they are not perfect. In my area of expertise I see incorrectly attributed coins all the time. Sometimes that works to the collector’s advantage, allowing you to snag a rarity which has been misattributed. On occasion, you will spot a counterfeit being sold as real, usually unknowingly and unintentionally on the part of the auctioneer or dealer.

There is ultimately no substitute for developing your own judgement.

Broucheion likes this.
  4. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Point taken, although I'd argue that "reputable" is implicit in my list above.

So, Lanz is one data point among hundreds of auction houses and dealers. That's not sufficient to support a general assertion about being lucky to get a refund for a counterfeit ancient coin from a dealer who has a written policy that guarantees authenticity, especially given the multiple responses (including mine) from collectors on this site with the opposite experience from many different dealers and auction houses.

Actual experiences with Lanz by collectors on this site is information.

Vague, unsupported assertions about unnamed dealers not honoring warranties is misinformation.

CoinTalk's goal should be to provide information, not misinformation.

Roman Collector, Hrefn and DCCR like this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

This is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. :hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted