Can you spot the fake 1921 Peace Dollar. Sorry no Prize. Test your skill

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Silvertip1958, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Silvertip1958

Silvertip1958 Member

I have 4 1921 Peace dollars. I was fooled by one until I got home and tested it with Metal detector. Can you tell which one is the fake? If so, how did you know? Educate us all. I actually got two fakes that day and they offered to replace them, I replaced the Morgan but decided to keep the Peace Dollar. It actually read in the low 80's on the detector, so it may have some silver, but it should have read +90. The Fake Morgan thumped in the nickel range. Which one is fake? Hopefully my pictures are enough for you to tell.

3 real one fake reverse.jpg 3 real one fake.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Top-right. The patina looks like that of many Chinese counterfeits, but, as you said, it is very difficult to tell.

-Brian

4. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Yep,

Top right. See how the date fades into the rim...

5. Iceman57

Iceman57 Junior Member

The picture aren´t all that good,,,,But I would say its the top right coin myself......It looks like they used a worn 1921 peace dollar to cast the mold.....plus the coin doesn´t have any life to it,,,dull, flat and its dark all around the head and with out any color to it. I have seen Walking Liberty Half Dollars that was casted out of some kind of white metal that looked like this.

6. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

With pictures like that I would suspect them to all be fake, but the top right is the worst. M

7. ronterry

ronterry New Member

Ditto... That shoe polish or what ever they use to age and cover flaws is a dead give away.

8. Is it me or is the bottom right coin smaller in size than the rest?Same with top right bottom coin.

9. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Looks that way, but I think it's just the angle of the photo.

10. Silvertip1958

Silvertip1958 Member

Okay, you're all right, top right is fake. The other 3 are real. I learned two things when I bought this coin. 1921's mixed in with a box of silver dollars doesn't happen for $20. And, look at them all closely. The guy I bought it from claimed he didn't know, but he knew enough about other coins to price them right. I paid nicely for the other 3. Thanks for the education, I see things now that I hadn't before.

11. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

Wow it's incredible what experience can do for you. I had also spotted the top right immediately. Thanks for the skills test!

12. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Egad!

The top right doesn't even look close to Lady Liberty. Her features are not sharp or crisp, even for her condition.

13. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

Now that I look alot more closely (though, the answer was given awfully quickly), heck yeah, compare Lady Liberty.....definitely looks different.

14. Shamrock111

Shamrock111 Member

15. AirPiracy

AirPiracy New Member

I'm starting to have doubts about this one I picked up on eBay recently.
    [​IMG]

16. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

That one is genuine, IMHO.

-Brian

17. Scottyd500

Scottyd500 New Member

I had the top right one as my guess too. There's some oddities about the extra dark patina, as well as some irregularities in the features, esp. the eye. I "bought" a fake Seated Liberty dollar from China a couple years back, expected it to be fake, but it was not advertised as such. It just was too good a price though. So, I checked it carefully when I received it, oddly enough, they're trying harder now to fool coin collectors, this one the weight was right. But, the thickness of the coin was wrong. It wasn't silver in other words, and it was features wise and otherwise a good fake, except for that thickness (to compensate for the lighter weight metal they used, probably some sort of nickel alloy). I'll try to dig it out and post a picture of it to see if you all can tell from looking at it. I wouldn't have otherwise suspected it probably. If you had a whole stack of them, it would be obvious though, since they would be taller in a stack than ordinary dollars.

18. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

The bottom right because it has the most detail and they are good sculptures of american coins. Steve

19. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

What gave it away for me was the actual stamping. The date fades, and the picture doesn't pop. I could be mistaken, but most - if not all 1921's were "high relief" and really stood out - as does the one on the bottom right. It's a deep well produced coin. The spires on the crown also look jumbled together.

Draft saved Draft deleted