Can you see anything wrong here?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pishpash, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Allectus Galley and Carausius. Got these super cheap, wondering why???

allectus carausius obv.JPG allectus carausius rev.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Pishpash likes this.
  4. Pishpash

Thanks Bing. I just wanted to upgrade my Allectus Galley. Not sure what the reverse of the Carausius is, probably Pax.

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Can't see anything wrong from these pics, either. The Allectus looks very nice, as a matter of fact.

6. Pishpash

Yes, that is why I thought it would go so much higher. I paid less than £9 per coin shipped.

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Stolen!

Alegandron and Pishpash like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lucky, congrats. Need Allectus myself.

Pishpash likes this.
  9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Looks like a terrific deal to me too, Pish

Pishpash likes this.
  10. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Nothing wrong with them I can see. The Carausius is really about an average quality for them, we see a lot of worn examples. The Allectus is really very nice. Both are emperors which used to be fairly scarce (still so but not as they were). The internet and metal detectors changed all that. Many more out there for people to choose from. Any yes, those prices were a steal! I would suggest the Allectus is about a $100 coin, the Carausius about $30-40. Nicely done!

Pishpash, dougsmit and Mikey Zee like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm with Ken on this one. If these two coins were Diocletian or Maximianus (the mainstream emperors at the time) they would be worthless junkers but Carausius and Allectus are really hard to find in a grade we might consider attractive. There are some nice coins and there are some that are just worn but many are poorly struck and poorly preserved. Carausius coins come from several mints of which we have a good grasp on fewer than half IMHO. Yours are the more common types from the more common mints in "I've seen worse" condition. The price was a bargain. I have been seeking out less common ones and better examples of the common ones. It has not been easy.

My latest {one week today}:
    rx3445fd3357.jpg

GregH, Andres2, dlhill132 and 11 others like this.
  12. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Well scored indeed!! Wish I could find a decent Allectus like that for cheap and fill one of those slots. Not to mention I really like his coins.

Pishpash likes this.
  13. Pishpash

I feel my mojo coming back :)

Alegandron, stevex6 and Mikey Zee like this.
  14. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I was wondering where you went but you say you're getting it back but I never knew you lost it. lol

It must be coming back to get a bargain like that for sure.

Pishpash likes this.
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice indeed pish, they must have flew in under the radar of most....good deal for you!

Pishpash likes this.
  16. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

[QUOTE="Pishpash, post: 2531844, Not sure what the reverse of the Carausius is, probably Pax.[/QUOTE]
    Well if it is & do don't want it I'm always willing.
    I saw a nice Caracalla with Pax, I'm thinking I'll pay attention & see what the hammer will be.

Pishpash likes this.
  17. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Pishpash likes this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Atta-girl, Pish ... congrats on both new additions (the cool galley coin is by far my favourite of the two, but I must admit that I don't have a Carausius yet, so I'm a bit jealous of that ruler "tick")

=> great score overall (very thrifty)

Oh, and while I'm here I may as well flaunt my Allectus (sadly, I paid way more for my example) ... *sigh*

Allectus.jpg

... but it's pretty sweet, eh?

:rolleyes:

Pish, apparently our quinarius "Q" examples are both from "C" mint ...

Quinarius - The word sufficiently indicates that the piece of money so called was half of the denarius. The mark of this coin was v., as being worth five asses, or five lbs. in brass money. On some, as on those of the Egnatuleia family, the mark is Q., namely, the initial letter of Quinarius

superb coin and very collectable--C mint is interesting it was always thought to be camulodunum (Colchester ) but now the experts think that it was clausentum (bitterne near Southampton)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Andres2, dlhill132, chrsmat71 and 9 others like this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

VERY nice captures Pish!

Mine are very humble, and I paid more...

CARAUSIUS:
    RI Carausius 287-293 AE22 London mint PAX Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Carausius 287-293 AE22 London mint PAX Obv-Rev.jpg

ALLECTUS: (I am a QUINARIUS fan)
    RI Allectus 293-296 AE Quinarius London Galley AE17 2-3g S 13870 RIC 55 O-R.JPG
    RI Allectus 293-296 AE Quinarius London Galley AE17 2-3g S 13870 RIC 55 O-R.JPG

RI Allectus 293-296 CE AE Ant PAX Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Allectus 293-296 CE AE Ant PAX Obv-Rev.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Mentor => wow, that's a very cool example that you've linked (see above) ...

=> man, I love the "Victory on deck" (amazingly cool example ... but $$$)

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted