Can you make money coin roll hunting?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Igor, May 12, 2020.

1. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Always the fair and well thought out response....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'll bet if you paid yourself minimum wage, you would lose money. ~ Chris

4. Tuco

Tuco Active Member

I did the math on my 4 months of heavy CRH before the shutdown and if I sold everything I'd be at around $3 an hour, but the fun factor was priceless :)

Insider likes this.
  5. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

Absolutely. As I said, it's a hobby that doesn't lose money, not a job. Lately with these W quarters, though, I have been making overtime pay. Hit the jackpot recently. Few and far between, but those cool finds make it worth it. My son and one day grandkids will hopefully have some rare and interesting coins from it. That and the thrill of the hunt makes it worth it to me.

6. CaptainMac

CaptainMac Gotta Love Those Errors and Varieties!

I assume that when you say "make money", you're thinking in terms of larger numbers, so the answer to this question is no. While there is for sure potential to make a few extra bucks finding a doubled die, a good RPM, or other errors, do not expect to be making hundreds of dollars a day. I do it for fun, and as many other people have said and do as well, for the thrill of finding something awesome! I tend to enjoy the novelty instead of the value of a coin for the most part. The chances of you finding a coin worth thousands is almost impossible, but it can happen. I'm not trying to discourage you from CRH, as it is very enjoyable, but if you don't look at it from a money making standpoint, you'll most likely enjoy it a lot more.

Hope this helped and have a good one!

7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

You are much better off reselling "cull" coins from eBay. Back in the day I got a big bagful of 2 cent pieces for $4.00 each or so. I sold most of them between $5 and $10, so yes, I made money. But no, it was not worth my time

These days I've moved onto ancient coins. Over 800 coins, I have either broken even or made a MINOR (~5%) profit in the aggregate.

The only real way to make good money with coins is to become a full-fledged LCS owner or online dealer. Then again, it costs a lot of money to become a respected store, and you have to make up that initial investment before you can even think about making any sort of livable income.

In conclusion: you can not make a living CRH'ing.

8. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

My question to those people is this: If they're truly "unsearched", how do you know they're all wheat cents?

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Elementary, my dear Watson.

manny9655 likes this.
  10. hotwheelsearl

The only true way to do this would be to acquire rolls that were ABSOLUTELY rolled before 1958. Otherwise, there's no way to truly guarantee all wheaties.

Although, even if you got a dated roll 1958 or earlier, then you could potentially end up with some Indians, so you really couldn't guarantee all wheaties unless you had an absolute certainty that the roll was made between 1910 and 1958

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Even that wouldn't help; Indians were certainly still in circulation in 1910, and they still aren't all gone. I've gotten at least one in change within the last ten years.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  12. hotwheelsearl

Good point. Then, I suppose the only true method is thus.

Get a big bucket of pennies. Specifically pick out Indian and memorial reverses. Fight the urge to check dates on the wheats.

Truly randomly fill rolls without discrimination into true Undearched rolls.

Now what are the odds of that happening...

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not so much searching them, but collating them. :rolleyes:

14. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Can you make a living CRH'ing?

I think you'd have more success hunting for Forrest Fenns' treasure chest. And that's already been found! :joyful:

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Ouch! But true! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted