Can you make money being a coin collector?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Aug 4, 2013.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Can you make money being a coin collector?

Short answer.......No

You'll be so attached to your treasures that you'll be loathe to part with them......

easj3699 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No it's not from a philosophical standpoint, it's from a practical standpoint - it's reality.

If you buy a coin lot for $100, and let's say there are 10 coins in the lot, then the actual cost for each 1 of those coins is some portion of that $100. For the sake of argument lets say coin #3 is the one you say is worth $50. That means the other 9 coins cost $50 combined, and for the sake of argument let's say they are all equal. So each of the 9 cost you $5.55 each.

So now you sell those 9 coins, you get $100 for them. That means you made $50.05 profit on those 9 coins. You now owe taxes at the rate of 28% on that $50.05.

But coin #3, you kept, you didn't sell it. Your cost was $50, you haven't made, or lost, 1 cent on that coin until you sell it. And if it's 1 year or 20 years from now that you decide that coin, your cost is still going to be $50. And any profit or loss can only be accounted for then.

That is the reality of the situation. Nothing philosophical about it.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Sure, nearly every lot has been searched through -- but then those lots get inherited, or lost and discovered, or stolen (sorry, but we all know it happens) by people who don't understand what they contain. Sometimes they walk into a coin shop, and the dealer gets a deal. Sometimes they show up in an auction. Sometimes they show up in a Coinstar reject bin, or a teller's drawer (which starts the cycle over again).

I make occasional profits buying lots on eBay that contain interesting possibilities. Yes, there are people who pose as naive sellers; over time, you learn to recognize most. The biggest problem, though, is that there are plenty of other buyers using the same tactic, and by the time you finish bidding against them, your profit potential is usually minimized. Grabbing new Buy It Now listings can get around this, but it requires good and fast judgement (and while I have many strengths, speed of thought isn't one of them).

Numismat likes this.
  5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Sorry Doug, but when you speak of the possibility of what may happen when you sell the coin rather than what the coin will sell for at any given time, that is the intellectual/philosophical stance. The practical side is the $ amount that the coin represents.
    If you keep the coin, you know you have the amount the coin is worth on the market, whether you choose to cash it in now or later is irrelevant as long as the price is there.
    We have obviously had very different experiences in our numismatic lives, but a collection worth a quarter million dollars that cost you nothing due to selling off other coins you did not choose to collect cannot be considered anything other than profit, especially when you have already made a profit on those other coins.
    Maybe collecting by buying coins at dealer prices does not make one money, but collecting in others ways sure can. It's not accurate to generalize all types of collectors as doing so by the same methodology.

PS: when talking about eBay sales, taxes are only mandatory when you do over $20k and 200 unique transactions per year on the same Paypal account.

6. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Dosent mean you can work for free and the knowledge you gain will surpass any monetary gain you would receive.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Pretty sure that the IRS or any accountant would have a differing opinion on that.

Perhaps what you meant to say was that eBay/PayPal only report your revenue to the government if it exceeds those limits, and so you stand a better chance of successfully evading the taxes you owe if you stay below those limits.

mikem2000 likes this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In which case you owe 28% on the entire quarter million dollars. or $70,000.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I strongly believe that the IRS would differ with you on that point.

Taxes are due if you earn more than $600 on an enterprise. Then you would deduct your expenses, and the net amount is subject to taxes.

The taxes (in this instance, as a dealer) include Income taxes + Social Security (6.2%) and Medicare (1.45%) as a business.

mark_h likes this.
  10. GDJMSP

There is no profit or loss on any asset, I don't care what it is, until that asset is actually sold.

And no, you don't just get to pick and choose what a given coin cost you when you buy a coin lot. The lot as a whole cost the amount you paid. But every individual coin within that lot has a basis price that is a portion of that whole. That basis price is determined by what it would cost to buy each of those individual coins on the open market at the time that you bought the lot.

Now if you got a discount for buying the lot, and most of the time you do (which is why you buy lots to begin with) then the individual cost of each coin is reduced by the proportional discount.

That's the way the law says it has to be, that' the way accounting principles work.

Now you can believe that or not, up to you. But what I am saying is the truth.

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I think Doug has nailed it in his responses. I mean even if you buy it with profit money - that coin still has a cost and you still need to track it. And as Frank mentioned - the IRS would disagree with you. Granted a lot of folk don't tell the IRS and get away with it but you never know when they audit you they might catch something. Those records might just save you some money.

12. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

The investor tells the collector
    he's a fool for not taking profits.
    The collector says what are you?
    You paid a $1,000 more for a full
    rivet on a shield, moron.

And then the wife sticks her
    two cents in: "stop mumbling
    to yourself and come to
    dinner."

Numismat and Jwt708 like this.
  13. Lostwords

Lostwords Member

I am a newbie so I'll take a stab at answering the original question:
    How could one make money being a coin collector?
    Quick and simple answer: you buy coins in bulk and sell it back out with a margin. How much money you can make is all depend upon you investment in time and money. Like anything else, it is also depend upon your risk tolerance. Sometime high risk = high reward but more than often, it works the opposite.

Frankly, for me, I flip coins on the side to support my collection. I personally only buy coins I like. If it happen that the coin I buy become a flop, at least I get to keep it and enjoy it rather than stuck with a coin I don't like and it's a flop.

My early strategy is to buy multiple coins of what I like to save on "shipping" and then sell it back out with a small margin. This way it helps "pay" for coin I like.

14. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

my 2 cents. what we are seeing on this thread is make your best engineer the manager. it doesn't work out more often than not. reason those are 2 different skill sets. same thing with collecting and selling. 2 completely different beasts.

collectors more often than not take a bath when selling their collections. some proudly state that they got 50 cents on the dollar. with such a poor track record of the collector group what the op should think about is the collector group the best bunch of individuals to ask his question.

IMHO the best answer can come from the dealer group if they are willing to share their trade secrets and that is a big IF.

15. GDJMSP

No secret to it at all. 80% or more of all coins that a dealer buys, he sells to another dealer. And he sells them for a small percentage over what he paid. Of the coins that he sells to other dealers there are a few exceptions where he makes more because of his knowledge used when he bought the coins.

About 20% of the coins he sells he sells to collectors. But he bought all of those coins at wholesale and sold them all at retail. (every business on the planet makes money by doing that) Depending on what the coin is that will usually allow him to make anywhere from 10% - 20% profit on each coin. And there are exceptions to that as well. For very common coins and inexpensive coins he may only pay 50% - 60% of retail, and sell at full retail. And there will be some that was able to buy and then sell for a much higher percentage because of his knowledge used when he bought the coin.

Add it all up and you have why & how dealers make money on coins.

Tom B likes this.
  16. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

This is a really good response by GDJMSP. The vast majority of both the volume and value of the coins I sell are sold to other dealers. Oddly enough, many times I sell coins to dealers at the same price that I have offered them on my website to the general public. In some of these cases I have previously received feedback from clients that the coin was too much money on my site, yet it sells to another dealer at my asking price. Incredibly, on more than one occasion I have received feedback from a client that a coin was priced too high at X only to have me sell the coin to another dealer at X and then find out shortly thereafter that the client who gave the initial feedback purchased the coin from the next dealer at X+Y. The most likely explanation for this behavior, in my opinion, is that the collector realized he was wrong in his initial value assessment and really wanted the coin or that the collector has been sold on the "brand name" of the dealer and buys the brand.

green18 likes this.
  17. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

dearest grandpa,

that is all very fine but most dealers have gone belly up (incl some extremely great members, which might seem impossible at first glance) while heritage is about to become a billion dollar company(800 m and counting). the formula you have suggested is great in theory but the op probably needs to know the big boys are doing other than investing big money

18. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

for some reason I cant edit my post to add

the question here isn't what b 2 b is doing. the question here is can there be a c 2 something. either a c2c or a c 2 b. if there can be then what can be learnt from the guys that are successful in the business space that could be transported to the collector space if anything at all.

19. GDJMSP

spock I have addressed and answered that question a hundred times in a hundred different threads. Can a collector make money ? Sure, if and only if he does everything right. And if he is very lucky. Do 1 thing wrong, or be unlucky, and they won't make money.

Just that simple.

20. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

GDJMSP:
    I think the problem is people have
    become used to billionaire
    derivative traders in America,
    and the "magick formulas" for
    getting rich through algorithms
    and algo computers.

When the derivative daisy chain breaks,
    when their baboon turds can no
    longer be marked to an LSD
    trip, when things revert to the
    mean, coin collectors who may
    yarn for a secret equation will hope-
    fully abandon that quest for the
    not so secret wealth equation that
    will still be in effect long after those
    "talented" derivative traders are
    super sizing your fries.

Equity= assets + liabilities

21. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

If you're talking about old rare coins. That's complicated because of cleaning, fakes, etc etc etc.

If you're talking about something simpler like Silver Eagles, or world bullion collecting, that's easy to make money in. There are very few factors involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted