Can you identify this?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Brit in Texas, May 15, 2008.

1. Brit in Texas

Brit in Texas Senior Member

I got this coin in a big lot of various U.S. and world coins that also had some tokens in it so it could be just about anythings as far as I know!

Looks like somebody had a go at it with wire wool too. it's been bugging me that I don't know what it is so I'm turning to you for help.

It's copper I think, about the size of a large cent. Here it is in colour, and also black and white with a few adjustments to try and show a little more.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I doubt it is a Half Cent. It looks more like a Colonial coin of some sort.

5. the collector

the collector *Aussie Coins Collector*

If i am not wrong this looks like George III thats all i can tell you :(

6. Brit in Texas

In hand you can't see any more than in the pics. What confuses me is the obv and rev look like they could be two totally different things.

As the Collector said the obv looks like a lot of George III coinage, the rev on the other hand looks to me like a Chinese cash coin. I can kind of convince myself there's a dragon in the center and a possible Chinese character on the left as pictured...
    I wasn't going to write this so soon incase I coloured anyone's judgement but nevermind :)

7. the collector

the collector *Aussie Coins Collector*

could be a cartwheel penny if it has the size?

8. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

I'd venture to say a Draped Bust Cent, or Half Cent.

You can kind of see the lettering on the reverse. There is a clear "R" on top, which looks like "R" in AMERICA

9. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

I'm going to go with george III

Doesn't look like a cartwheel coin.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Definite Geo III.

11. Coins Lord

Coins Lord New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi can anyone can tell me from which country is this coin and how much is his value.

12. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Welcome to the forum, when you start a new subject you should make it a separate thread.

Its a 10 baht from Thailand. The date is BE 2538, which converts to 1995 AD. It has no additional value besides face in country of origin.

13. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Brit - you're coin is an Irish halfpenny. I can make out the faint image of the harp on the reverse.

14. Brit in Texas

Thank you so much, you've just made my day! :) I bow down to your wisdom :) Thanks a lot, that's been bugging me for months.

Here's a link with a few pics if anyone wants to see what it used to look like. With the lack of detail I'm struggling to pin it down exactly since the site doesn't have dimensions and I've only got a 20th century Krause.

http://www.irishcoinage.com/MILL4CAT.HTM#geo3a

I'm pretty sure that this now takes the place of oldest coin in my collection :)

15. Ardatirion

16. Brit in Texas

I was thinking it looks most like the Soho penny you linked to. Any idea of the diameter of that? It would be cool if it was because it looks to be a one year type meaning I could date it.

17. Ardatirion

My halfpenny is 28mm. If your coin is larger, its a penny, smaller, its a farthing.

18. Brit in Texas

Penny it is then :)

Thanks a lot!

Draft saved Draft deleted