Can you identify these coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TaborTot22, Apr 13, 2015.

1. TaborTot22

TaborTot22 Well-Known Member

I found the picture of these coins at an auction happening this weekend. Could someone please identify these coins to me? (they look to be the same type of coin but various years). Large Cent? Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

That's what they look like to me...copper large cents...can't see the dates.

Do they come with the hair and dandruff?:yack:

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks like braided hair and coronet large cents

5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Rather scuzzy examples. They will bring about 3 times what they're worth, the bunnies will be out in force. What you DO sometimes find at home or estate auctions are little boxes or bags of foreign coins, unsearched.

With silver so high compared to 15-20 years ago, they seldom go for bargain prices nowadays, but it only takes one KEY date, and nobody except the guy toting a pair of Krauses knows which are the keys of Dutch pennies, for instance. (It's the 1924, a marginally key date).

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

0794842135.png Sometimes you need to pay a little bit for your education.

Treashunt likes this.
  7. TaborTot22

TaborTot22 Well-Known Member

Thanks @cpm9ball for the tip. I have a Redbook but they're about 2-3 coin types that have the same head. Without a reference for coin size, I was trying to ask the pros. I'm not that uneducated.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I am not trying to be mean, but you won't believe the number of people who don't realize all the benefits of the Red Book. I just can't assume that you are one of the educated bunch.

Chris

9. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Let someone else buy them. Only two of the five are even marginally acceptable. You can do better than these dogs.

10. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Gotta ask them if the hair and dust/bugs/dirt comes with the coins. Looks like the photos were taken on someone's pant leg...

11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I didn't even notice the dandruff and hair and stuff at first....:yuck:

12. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I saw a grain of salt go for $7 on ebay, the hair alone might be worth $2

phankins11 likes this.
  13. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Sheesh, give the guy a break. They're large cents as you know, look at the dates and that will tell you which type they fall under in your Red Book. They all look like problem coins, ie harshly cleaned, scratched and/or corroded. The top left one looks like your best bet, probably 8-10 at least. The others 2-5 dollars each I'd bet.

Draft saved Draft deleted