Can you help me identify this Chinese Character Coin?!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by phoasdragon, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

The first thing you can do is give it the "magnet test". If the coin sticks to a magnet, then it's fake.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. phoasdragon

phoasdragon New Member

Already did that!! It's not!! :)

4. Collector1966

Well, you've overcome one hurdle, but there are others up ahead.
    Given that your coin would apparently be quite valuable if it were real, I would certainly consider sending it (registered, with a generous amount of insurance) to a grading service like NGC or ANACS.

As for the meanings of the inscriptions, my language of expertise is Japanese rather than Chinese, so I can translate only a few parts. Your coin says "Xian Feng year 6" (=1856)
    Shanghai County

and on the other side
    1 silver tael.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help with the inscriptions.

5. Collector1966

Well, you've overcome one hurdle, but there are others up ahead.
    Given that your coin would apparently be quite valuable if it were real, I would certainly consider sending it (registered, with a generous amount of insurance) to a grading service like NGC or ANACS.

As for the meanings of the inscriptions, my language of expertise is Japanese rather than Chinese, so I can translate only a few parts. Your coin says "Xian Feng year 6" (=1856)
    Shanghai County

and on the other side
    1 silver tael.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help with the inscriptions.

6. phoasdragon

phoasdragon New Member

Nice thanks again so much! I appreciate it! :thumb:

7. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

I would translate as follows:

Obverse: Xian Feng 6th year (1856), Shanghai District "Yu Sen Sheng (Bank)", pure silver cake
    (these coins were referred to as "silver cake" because of their shape)

Reverse: "Shanghai Customs" inspected tax scale, real weight "one tael" silver, made by silversmith "Feng Nian"

Unfortunately, I am sure your coin is a reproduction. Authentic specimens have outstanding calligraphy such as this one which was in the collection of Mr. Ma Dingxiang who was one of the most famous Chinese numismatists of the 20th century.

By comparison, the calligraphy on your coin looks "dull and dead".

Incidentally, authentic coins are very rare. China has even minted a series of commemorative coins honoring rare issues such as this coin. An example of the commemorative coin (different silversmith) is the second coin shown here.

Gary

8. phoasdragon

phoasdragon New Member

Thanks for looking!!

9. phoasdragon

phoasdragon New Member

When they made the commemortive coin... do they make them out of silver?
    You say it looks dead an dul... I found a coin that looks exactly like ours check it out. I had to save the picture an make it large to see it a little better... let me know what you think...

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...dagwKIXzRs8U3g

10. Augustine1992

Augustine1992 Member

so does anyone know what it says?

11. phoasdragon

phoasdragon New Member

couple posts up manymore translated it... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted