Can you help me identify these coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kevin Ashcraft, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Kevin Ashcraft

Kevin Ashcraft New Member

Hello! Thsi is my first time posting. I'm thankful for a forum like this because I have two coins that I recently acquired and have not been able to identify them. In the last house I flipped, these two coins were found in the attic buried under a layer of dust.

I can't identify what they are or how much they're worth. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    P1000499_opt.jpg P1000500_opt.jpg P1000501_opt.jpg P1000502_opt.jpg

chrsmat71, TIF and Tinpot like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. shiny coins for life

shiny coins for life Active Member

Welcome to cointalk! I cant help you with the coins because ia m not an ancient expert though.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Please wait for service...someone will be along shortly. Both look like Nero, but I am sure someone will know loads about them.

5. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

2nd post of a coin like that in a few days. It is a Nero....I wonder if China landed a shipment here recently?

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The first looks to be a Domitian RIC 623

Domitian AE As. 88 AD. IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P VIII CENS PER P P, laureate head right / COS XIIII LVD SAEC FEC, Domitian standing left sacrificing from patera over altar, with hexstyle temple in background, two attendants playing harp & pan pipes to left, SC in ex.
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/domitian/RIC_0623.jpg.

I believe it is rather rare and I need to check the fake databases.

Mic123 likes this.
  7. Bing

I didn't find it in the fake databases I usually check. Wait till someone else responds to be certain it is genuine.

8. Bing

The second coin is a Nero RIC 522 I believe:
    Nero AE Dupondius. Lyons mint, ca 66 AD. IMP NERO CAESAR AVG P MAX TR P P P, laureate head right with large globe at point / VICTORIA AVGVSTI S-C, Victory walking left holding wreath & palm.
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/nero/RIC_0522.jpg

Once again, I did not find a match in the Fake databases; however, lets wait till this is confirmed by others.

Mic123 likes this.
  9. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

The Second one is Nero. Always thought he looks a bit like john Belushi Nero.jpg

stevex6 and Bing like this.
  10. Bing

Kevin - Try taking better pics. The size of the image is great, but too out of focus especially the Domitian. And if you can, please provide weight and size for eash coin.

11. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

to be honest both look fake to me, I am sorry.

12. Bing

Can you explain your reasoning? Curious not arguing.

13. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

looks pressed to me and placed in oil and left to get dirty to give impression of worn and old. for example on the Nero, letters are perfect and other parts of the coins looks very bad.

14. Bing

I certainly am no expert on fake coins, but the wear on the Nero seems to be on the high points including the letters. And it is most certainly hard to say much of anything about the Domitian without better images and without size and weights for comparisons.

15. WDF

WDF Its all about history

I'm know expert, but leaning toward fake. Looked at a few coins a friend had bought on his trip to Turkey and all were fake and had the same characteristics as the ones above. They had been dipped in some form of liquid. The coating did not adhere to the surface very well and made bubbles that would crackle when pushed on. They also had cleaning scrapes on the reverse to bring out detail but none on the obverse except for the high relief areas.

Bing likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

welcome

:bear:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  17. Bing

Welcome WDF. You guys may be right. I'm just trying to understand what others are seeing that I am not. I'm surprised some of the regular posters have not opined. Perhaps because they agree with you? I'm just not sold that they are fakes yet, but without more info and better images, I'm not sold that they are genuine either..

WDF likes this.
  18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree that better images are needed (primarily of the presumed Domitian) but I don't see any definitive reason to condemn either coin. I trust Bing's report of no matches in the usual Fakes databases, not that they comprehensive.

The wear pattern on the Nero looks appropriate; the junction of devices to the fields doesn't have the soft/melted look of a cast.

I'm leaning towards genuine. Please note that I am not an expert :)

Welcome to CoinTalk!!

WDF likes this.
  19. WDF

WDF Its all about history

Thanks for the welcome Bing and I do hope the coins are real.
    Good luck with them Kevin.

20. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

Domitian - I don't like the softness of the strike, perfect round Flan ( Edges ) & Porosity ( Holes ) or lack of color Variation in the patina ( No other tones reds-browns-light green ect ) no movement on metal

The strike & ware on Nero look better, more natural as far as details but, again the rest of the problems I see on the Domitian are present here as well.

I would want to see more movement in the metal, Striations from the strike other nuances in the metal.

As far as patina it's possible that both coins were purposely placed in the attic as an environment to accelerate their aging & patination.

That edge on both coins it disturbing though & I would pass on both just on that detail.

Most coins has some hairline crack or lamination issue or a straight up cavern like gaps.

The Nero also has a Really clean fields ( flat areas around the portrait ) despite the obvious Corrosion & pitting there are no obvious contact marks ( Circulation ) ware

The only textures I see occur upon the highest point of relief which is the portrait and here it looks like large hash marks like intentional sanding/ file marks to simulate natural ware

Bing likes this.
  21. Bing

Thanks for explaining what you see Sev. It helps me to look for some of these items when I am shopping.

Actually, however, I do not think the original poster has returned or said anything about our remarks. I'm not sure if this thread was moved from another area and he just doesn't know where to look or he is a phantom. Oh well.

Draft saved Draft deleted