Can you define improper storage ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GDJMSP, Nov 16, 2018.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I asked the question, how do you define improper storage ? To which you answered -

And you also made these comments -

Both of which pretty much state flat out that a collector has a responsibility to protect his coins from both mechanical and/or environmental damage.

So far, I don't have problem with that, in fact I even agree with it. I would even go so far as to say that your definition of improper storage covers a part that I left out of my definition for improper storage - "Improper storage is defined as any storage method that is conducive to toning." - I left out the part about protecting them from mechanical damage. It was an oversight. But it is also where we part ways.

You see, you also said that albums, coin envelopes, cardboard coin holders of any kind, wrapped in tissue paper, paper coin rolls, etc etc were all acceptable forms of proper storage.

But is that really true ? Albums are famous for putting slide scratches and hairlines on coins, both from the slides themselves and from particles of cardboard dust being dragged repeatedly across the coin when the slide is moved. And those cardboard dust particles also cause very unsightly spotting on coins. And albums are also well known for being directly responsible for fingerprints ending up on coins. And when coins are left in albums too long the coins develop terminal toning. Cardboard 2x2s, again famous for scratches, cardboard dust, contact marks right through the mylar. Flips, well both kinds have their problems. Both are well known for causing rub/wear on the high points of the coins as they move around inside the flips, the vinyl flips have the PVC residue issue, the non-vinyl flips the scratches issue as the coins are taken in and out. The paper envelopes, famous for terminal toning, same for tissue paper etc etc. Basically everything in the list is very well known for causing harm to coins in one way or another.

Bottom line, not a single one of them, by your own definition, can be defined as being acceptable for proper storage because every single one of them is very well known for causing mechanical damage to coins. This much at least is undeniable.

Now you try to cover the toning issue that all of these storage methods have by saying this -

And that's really the crux of the entire discussion isn't it. I mean, none of the mechanical damage I've noted above relegates a coin into problem coin status, well except for staple scratches when they're severe enough, or terminal toning which pretty much all of them are known for causing. So all we're really left with is the toning issue, namely it being acceptable or not acceptable - AT/QT.

But who decides whether it is or isn't ? It's been stated that the market does. But is that really true ? I think not. We're the market, people, collectors are the market. And the people are not making any decisions on this matter at all. The TPGs are the ones making the decisions with their labels. If the TPGs say the toning is questionable the so called market goes right along with them. Just like they go right along with them when they say coins with wear on them are MS. Whatever the TPGs say is what the so called market agrees with. As a general rule, if the TPG says it, then as far as the so called market is concerned - it simply must be so.

And I don't disagree with your comment that toning itself is not considered environmental damage Paul. In fact I agree with it completely. What I have a problem with is the completely arbitrary decision being made that sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. Which is exactly what the TPGs do ! And there is no basis for that decision, none at all. And there is absolute proof of that. Countless numbers of toned coins have been submitted and cleanly graded. Only to be rejected at a later submission and labeled QT. Or, countless numbers have been rejected at the first submission as being QT, and then cleanly graded on a subsequent submission.

There is no consistency, none. Every time a toned coin is sent in the decision of if it is QT or not is made by 3 or 4 people - NOT the market ! But if you send it in again, a different 3 or 4 people, and sometimes even the very same 3 or 4 people, reverse their previous decision.

So I ask you, is there any way that you or anybody else cannot see a problem with that ? Is there any way that you or anyone else cannot say that this methodology is ridiculous ? All they are doing is guessing - every single time ! They, the TPGs, don't know because they can't know - it's impossible. Nobody ever knows !

Your reasoning that improper storage is valid qualification for a coin to be labeled as QT is just so much hogwash ! It's a bunch of hot air being blown around in an effort to justify something for which there is no justification !

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

Mike, I didn't mean to be discouraging with my comments about this yesterday. If you have some kind of an idea buddy - go for it ! Personally I'd be strongly in favor of something that would actually work that is better than what we have now.

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Thanks for the encouragement Doug . . . I'm not one to give up on a vexing problem needing a solution. With other priorities, I just need incentive enough to work on it.

I spent a little time on it last night . . . between packaging orders and watching the Celt's game. I'm just hoping I can come up with something that would be both effective, and marketable. Tooling cost is always the issue, so I need to get a feel for how many dollars are in the marketplace to support developing / launching / protecting such a product.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Two thoughts, Doug:
    1) Wow, people gripe at ME for TL,DR posts!

2) I can’t find a quarrel with any of this. The lack of TPGS consistency IS the real 800lb. gorilla in the toning room.

3) Sorry, third thought. Lack of grader and finalizer ID and transparency is the next scandal.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

I am working on getting some snaps of changed coins in slabs from my collection. The more I look at them, the more I realize ALL of them came from Teletrade purchases, in the 1990’s. Some dimes were blast white when I got them and are now DEEPLY toned in a VERY unattractive manner. Same deal with one Franklin half. I literally don’t own a single coin that has ever been stable regarding toning, except for recent blast white that still is, for now.

As of now, I’ve pulled 8 coins, all with unattractive toning now, all blast white when I bought them, all in small ANACS plastic.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Question: if your blast white coins are the ones that are turning, why do you constantly warn people off toned coins?

Seems to me that the dipped blast white coins in your collection are more reactive than toned coins with original skins that actually serve to protect the coin from additional toning.

ToughCOINS and Paul M. like this.
  8. GDJMSP

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of folks around anymore who remember Teletrade Kurt. They were one of the primary venues for the coin doctors selling their AT but cleanly graded coins. Every week and sometimes twice a week they'd have their toned coins auctions. There were so many of them back then that even 2 auctions a week wasn't enough to keep up with all that were being churned out. And of course most agreed that the coins were 100% NT and they brought ridiculous prices, and did so for years.

Paul M. and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

Here is the most egregious example. First the label:
    DSC00013.jpg

Now the coin:

DSC00017.jpg

Yes, that is blue toning at 7-8 o'clock in the field, and Mississippi Mud all over the rest of the coin. Who wants this mess for Proof 67 Cameo money today? Pffft!

Paul M. likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

Here's my quarter:

DSC00002.jpg

This coin has quite literally changed EVERY YEAR I have had it, from no toning whatsoever, to this hot mess:

It's not so easy to see in the fields, but check the legends, date and top and bottom of the bust. Ridiculous nearly terminal toning.
    DSC00005.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

A Morgan I bought with an attractive slight yellow tone is now black at the edges. I can't zoom back far enough to frame a crown sized coin. Even these required my 0.5x Barlow lens.

Here's the bottom line: I no longer trust ANY coin to not turn if it's in TPGS plastic. I'd rather take my chances raw. The absolute garbage found in dealers' "cheap slabs" boxes only confirms how unreliable slabs are for preservation of toned coins.

12. Lehigh96

That’s the most ludicrous claim you have ever made. Once a coin is graded, it is market acceptable, and you could sell it in any auction venue you wanted. There was absolutely nothing nefarious about Teletrade or their consignors.

I searched every Teletrade auction for years and bought many toned coins from them. Note the word “searched” because most of the coins in the auction were untoned. To insinuate that the offerings in Teletrade auctions were AT creations is INSANE!

13. V. Kurt Bellman

Sorry, they VERY much WERE AT by the thousands. I myself returned several because I felt they were. It now seems I should have rejected more than I did.

I guess I'm happy for you that you haven't had the miserable experiences with toning that I have, but I've had nothing but heartache, and I refuse to repeat it.

14. Lehigh96

You are not making any sense at all. For the entirety of this thread (and a few others) you have been talking about the evils of toning and making the assertion that coins don’t tone like that and that they are the product of coin doctors.

Come to find out that you can’t even protect your own coins from toning despite your militant efforts to do so.

So which is it? Dramatic toning doesn’t form naturally and is the product of coin doctors, or you just don’t like toning and are frustrated that you can’t stop it?

15. Lehigh96

I promise you that my experience with toned coins dwarfs yours. I’ve purchased more toned coins from Teletrade, Heritage, E-Bay etc. The coins from Teletrade were no different than those from the other auction venues, the were simply market acceptable toned coins.

You and Doug need to stop making the false claim that Teletrade was a haven of AT coins. You both sound like complete wackos spewing propaganda.

Paul M. likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

The answer is so simple I'm amazed it evades you - my thesis is that ATTRACTIVE toning is mostly (stable rainbow Morgans SPECIFICALLY in their own category) an incredibly thin snapshot in time and are unsustainable over anything resembling the long term. That nickel above was AMAZING-looking for a year or two.

17. V. Kurt Bellman

And you sound like an ideologue desperately clawing to preserve the inherent dishonesty of your chosen niche. I have contemporary coins to those shown above that have been in Saflips and albums, and they HAVE NOT TURNED, despite being in the same room and atmosphere with those slabs. I have proven to my own satisfaction that slabs are THE NATURAL ENEMY of preserving my coins that I want to keep stabilized. Slabs are trapping some nasty stuff in there.

18. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would agree sir. In my "perfect world", coins would simply be left alone and valued based upon amount of luster remaining, whether lightly toned or darker. Collectors who demand blast white color drive dealers to dip, and collectors who only pay for vivid colors drive dealers to "force" toning. Of course a freshly dipped surface is much more susceptible to reacting to the environment than one with a light tone from age. Toning really is a way for the metal to protect itself from further damage. Like I said, pick your poison, blast white coins WERE dipped, toned ones MAY be original. Just don't be naïve and assume a toned coin is original, or a blast white coin cannot still be collectible. Some coins HAD to be dipped to save it from possible terminal toning.

At the base, I believe there is more agreement from advanced collectors than our discussions here would lead others to believe....

Lehigh96 likes this.
  19. Lehigh96

There is no “inherent dishonesty” in the toning market, you are just sour about your personal experience.

Are you aware that the old white ANACS slabs are not completely inert? Perhaps you should have crossed those dipped proofs into PCGS or NGC slabs to protect them.

20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Possibly. What Lehigh would call NT I suspect is more stable. It would be possible to maintain them, but care would need to be exerted. You notice he mentions he uses intercepts. Very smart for someone who wishes to maintain a specific toning condition in perpetuity, though you may be right it cannot, with the best efforts, last forever. I simply do not know, because in the past we did not have the tools we have today to try to completely arrest toning at a specific stage.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

No sh... (umm, fooling), Sherlock! Ya' think? :rolleyes: So who can I go see about that? By the way, it happens in old NGC and PCGS too, just not as badly and/or quickly. ANACS white is a special case of perpetrator, yes. If you owned my nickel above, graded PF67CAM, and for which you PAID such money, what would YOU do with it? I'm thinking of cracking it and experimenting with it. I think I hear it screaming for a Kodak SR-10 bath.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted