Featured Can you define artificial toning ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GDJMSP, Nov 12, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

No, that's right as far as it goes. But toning is more complex than that. It requires both sulfur AND oxygen usually to get really rolling. When you still have the sulfur without the oxygen, you frequently pass the cooler colors and go straight to brown/black.

Keep in mind that old-school black & white photography is all about converting halides of silver into metallic silver and washing away silver sulfides in the processing. In color photography, the silver compounds are used as a catalyst to interact with dye couplers to create colored dyes in the emulsion layers, one cyan, one magenta, and one yellow, and hopefully ALL the silver ends up washed away, into the fixer bath or the bleach-fix.

SlipperySocks likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ima Dragon

Ima Dragon Year of the Dragon

IMO the only reasons to AT a coin is because
    1 - You like the appearance of toned coins (I do) or
    2 - Make a coin Worth More when Selling or Trading it (not cool)

LaCointessa and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

3 - Scientific inquiry.

[I just like knowing stuff from my own tests.]

Kentucky and Ima Dragon like this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

You want to see cancer? Join Facebook coin-selling groups. They make eBay look angelic.

C-B-D and Ima Dragon like this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

I do not have, have never had, and shall never have, ANY Facebook account. No thanks. I even drop apps when either Facebook or Google acquire them. I don't use Google for search. I have ZERO Android devices. I also own NO "spy speakers". If'n it ain't Siri, I ain't usin' it.

SlipperySocks and Ima Dragon like this.
  7. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

I have asked that very same question every time I look through a Jefferson nickel or quarter album with various degrees of toned coins. On this particular instance it was at least 35 years but could have easily been Longer. This album also had many more toned coins in it than any of the other albums I have looked at. Are there any markings on the Dansco album to note when the album was originally made? I looked but did not notice any.

8. Ima Dragon

I certainly understand wanting to know from that viewpoint . I didn't know about people ATing their coins , naieve I guess .

9. V. Kurt Bellman

Hmm, I don't think there are any date codes. Anybody?.

Ima Dragon likes this.
  10. TypeCoin971793

My comment was tongue-in-cheek. Over-hyping toning is rampant on Facebook, as well as scammers and misleading dealers.

Ima Dragon likes this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

Fret not; even the bottled water, Evian, is "naïve" spelled backward.

Ima Dragon likes this.
  12. TypeCoin971793

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/toning-is-corrosion.319522/

13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I don't have a definitive answer, but you can get an approximate age of a Dansco album from looking at the printed material on the inside of the front and back covers.

Ima Dragon likes this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

But then, you repeat yourself, don't you? :D

Ima Dragon likes this.
  15. Ima Dragon

I'm certainly happy I found this site . Interesting articles and photos of 1/2 Dollar Busties .

16. V. Kurt Bellman

No one suspects the Spanish Inquisition, but I suspect ANY specialty that has to be promoted as hard and relentlessly as the "toner" specialty presently is. Supply expands to meet demand, AS IN ALL MANUFACTURED GOODS, OVER TIME.

Here's the diff: I recently attended my first Early American Coppers club meeting. At NO POINT did I EVER feel that EAC's were being "promoted" or "sold" as a specialty, unlike in the toner market. The conversation was 100% intellectual and "collector driven" as opposed to toners, where a small cadre (cartel?) of heavily invested dealers drive the discussion.

Ima Dragon likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I use sweet potatos. They give that coin those brilliant orange and yellow hues.

RonSanderson likes this.
  18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Kurt, you seem to have gone a little far in this if you are not over exaggerating for emphasis. as you are often prone to do. They are metal pieces that are used in trade, not tokens of superior significance. If a person wants to stamp his own image or slogan on a coin, they can if they own it. If it isn't illegal to melt, why not if you want a silver bust of Keynes. If they want toned coins and do not want to pay for the commercially and natural ones, you, nor anyone can stop them from doing it. They are just coins, Its a hobby! Look at what you typed. What do they serve at the ANACs meetings? Cyanide dipping cocktails :) Jim

19. V. Kurt Bellman

I am speaking of historically possibly significant pieces, but I am indeed making a serious point. How can we TRULY be said to “own”, in any meaningful way, that which is more eternal than we are? We are far more temporary and ethereal than most coins, perhaps excepting Zincolns.

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Almost everything is more eternal than ourselves. If you had said , do not attempt to tone a high grade continental dollar due to its rarity, I would buy that, but it is not a singularity, like many species of animals that are being destroyed in the name of human progress. Every rock in a stone building in your hometown is far more lasting than a person, but I bet some of them have been broken up for remodeling or replacement, and they change color as they weather, so what do they need to be revered like toned ( AT or NT) , a face, a date? I agree rarities need to be preserved, but a common morgan or a 1948 cent? Why not donate it to a museum for safe keeping rather than in your album? They will just sell it. Probably even ANAC. You are passionate and that is good, but too much is somewhat odd :) Jim

-jeffB likes this.
  21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'll sidestep the question of any "eternal" human component, because rules.

A first point: to at least some extent, we heal from damage, and coins don't. In that sense, we're more durable than they are.

A second and larger point: we aren't objects with a finite existence, religious considerations aside. We're disturbances, transient patterns in the motion of subatomic particles that are effectively eternal.

And so are coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted