Can someone tell me where this coin is from?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Murillo, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, just wondering if someone can tell me what country this coin is from? Also is this a two cent coin or two dollar coin?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Greece, 2 drachmai, looks like.

fretboard and John Conduitt like this.
  4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Yes, Greece 2 drachmai. 1967. Very common and not very desirable.

Here is a great site which will show you EXACT specifications for nearly every modern world coin. Including weight, composition, years of production, and more.

Check it out - it's much quicker and easier than snapping pics, typing out a post here, and waiting for answers.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces545.html

click on "coins" under the Numista logo at the top, and select a country, then type the year of the coin in the search bar. :)

Heavymetal likes this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Of course, that can be problematic if the country is one of the things you're trying to figure out. ;)

I saw what looked like Greek letters, and was able to puzzle out "DRACHMAI" on the reverse; that, and the date (in familiar numerals), was enough for Google to get me to Numista.

6. Murillo

Awesome! Thank you for the link

Evan Saltis likes this.
  7. Murillo

Thank you! So true if your not familiar with the country to try and look up info on your coin. This is why I post on this site and so glad I did, always best to ask an expert to help people like me along. Thanks again!

Evan Saltis likes this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Heavymetal likes this.
  9. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

On Numista, I've even just put the year and a number for the denomination and found results, such as 1943 1, and results pull up all coins in the catalogue with that year and a denomination of 1. Very handy for me with Asian coins, though I do keep a cheat sheet of Chinese and Arabic numerals. Couple that with a date converter app for other numeric systems and I'm set.

Draft saved Draft deleted