Can someone tell me the name of a site that has the top 100 rare modern world coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by billy b, May 11, 2015.

1. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Legally yes, but practically? Ever hear of anyone trying to spend an NCLT coin or depositing it at the bank? I don't mean having it accepted for precious metal value or just out of curiosity, I mean as a legit monetary unit at face value.

There was a discussion I remember from a while ago about Marshall Islands $5 and $10 commems, which were made of common metals. Someone had a small hoard that they wanted to spend or deposit in the Marshall Islands... and quickly found out that no bank will take them unless they must to please a high $$$ investor or someone with inside connection.
    Local businesses would not take them either.

Heck, a feeder finger struck by dies is legally money :)

So, in reality "can be spent as money" is not a practical option for those that wish to do so.

PS: I hate NCLT coins

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm not. You are the one changing the definition to suit your own purposes, not me. The definition says - a piece of metal stamped and issued by the authority of a government for use as money.

NCLT is not issued for use as money, that is the key phrase. NCLT is issued as a collectible, not as money, and why they are not coins.

4. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Yawn.

5. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

6. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

7. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

You can stand wherever you want, just watch out for poop.

I'm pretty sure the term rare is relative and dependant on various factors, like mintages and population. A single original Van Gogh may have no place to go on a scale of rarity, but, its value increases to demonstrate and expand that uniqueness and rarity.

With globalization, ease of/access to communication, increased interest in civilized hobbies and the increase in overall world population, the mintages that were once sufficient and in the low hundreds of thousands, are now considered rare. Demand and popularity are driven by the evolution of communications and populations. Simple.

[​IMG]

Rarity is relative and it really doesn't matter if a few obsolete individuals claim to be the only ones "who actually know what it means and has always meant, for hundreds of years".

Ooga-Booga!
    [​IMG]

Numismat and brg5658 like this.
  8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I personally don't consider seeking an uncirculated example to be "conditional rarity". If we were talking about seeking Gems or superb Gems of relatively common Uncs then that would be "conditional rarity. It just seems to me that one of the attractions of modern coins is that most are redily available and collectible in Unc. You don't have to be wealthy to put together a set of Japanese aluminum 1 yen coins. But you will need to be very patient for some of these coins. Across the board there are lots of moderns that are extremely elusive in pristine condition and they are challenging and rewarding to collect.

There's nothing wrong with circulated coins and many people seek them out but there is a big difference between a coin that circulated and one that hasn't but was intended to. I just don't consider this conditionally rare when a common coin is unavailable in Unc and scarce even in VF. A worn, bent, and mutilated coin doesn't fit in my coin collections. It's alright for tokens and medals but not for modern coins. If you want a '50-E Eadt German 10p the odds are good you'll have to settle for a truly ugly example because virtually the entire mintage wore away in circulation and only a few were found when the coins were redeemed by the new German government. The vast bulk of these that survived 40 years in circulation were melted in the 1990's.

9. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

So after 3 pages of bickering and grandstanding, does anyone have a list for the OP?

10. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

Numismat likes this.
  11. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

If you were paying attention, according to the second post, such a list simply can't exist. Duh!

Anyone I know, who collects world modern, is not able to focus on all the countries. I don't know if such a list exists, but, it certainly can be created with the help of ones own countries of interest.

I'm happy to add any coins that come to mind, in an effort to get this topic to 100 rare modern world coins. That should be a good start, if we have enough world oriented collectors on this site.

I remember the key and semi-key dates of the 10 Francs Mathieu coins, 1981, 1982, 1983 and 1985...

http://typesets.wikidot.com/france:10-francs-1974-1987

http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces683.html

12. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

A0000097986-uscoin-zoom-1-0-1.jpg
    Pogue Collection is up for sale. Now part one

13. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

14. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

A strict definition is actually the opposite. Your qualifier, "for use as money," is not accurate. A coin is strictly a piece of metal or other material (eg plastic) issued and denominated by a country, that CAN be used as money. A strict definition means coins don't have to be spent, not that they should. That they should is your opinion. Proof US coins are after all coins in every sense of the word yet they aren't typically spent. Maybe a better qualifier is that all these issues have a technical or legal status as coins in country. NCLTs are strictly coins but many collectors deride this status

torontokuba and brg5658 like this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

16. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

In Yap, Indionesia these stone circles are used as money. They're not "spent" as we might define the word, but when a trade or sale is made, ownership of the stone is transferred to the seller to complete the transaction. So, are these stones Coins?[​IMG]

17. Numismat

Primitive moneys and fantasy issues aside, how about this:

Denominated and endorsed by a government = coin

Denominated, but not endorsed by a government = token

Non-denominated, endorsed by a government AND matches material/fineness/weight of a contemporary coin = medallic coin

Everything else = medal, medallion or medalet

joecoincollect likes this.
  18. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I d
    Those are government issued?

19. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Right, so proofs are coins. And, there are LOTS of world proof coins with extremely low mintages (i.e., rare coins).

I don't see where "patterns" fit into your framework. They are denominated and usually endorsed by a government...so I guess a coin? I consider them coins myself, with the descriptor of "pattern coin" being most correct.

Whether people like it or not, NCLT are also coins.

joecoincollect likes this.
  20. Numismat

Yes I consider patterns to be coins as well (denominated and gov't endorsed) :)

torontokuba likes this.
  21. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I'm guessing they don't pitch pennies there.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted