Can someone tell me the name of a site that has the top 100 rare modern world coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by billy b, May 11, 2015.

1. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Doug (@GDJMSP ), that rarity chart you quote is NOT from 1649.

[​IMG]

It is from a book called The English Silver Coinage from 1649 first published in 1949 (1st Ed.) and subsequently in many regular editions since (e.g., 2nd Ed. 1957; 3rd Ed. 1968, etc.). There are rarity scales that are fairly old, but this is not one of them. In fact, this reference was published exactly the same year (1949) as the Sheldon scale was in Early American Cents. Sometimes I think you are just really sloppy in your posts.

One of the best articles I have seen on various rarity scales is this one.

As for your original comment, there are LOTS of modern world coins with mintages that would fit the definition of "rare" on various scales. Many are essais, provas, proofs, etc. -- but they are coins nonetheless.

joecoincollect and torontokuba like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Obviously was that time :oops: I appreciate the correction. But the point still stands.

4. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Seeing how you operate in various topics, seeing what other forums have to say about your opinions, seeing that you always have to have an opinion and according to you it is almost always right, I find myself among a growing number of individuals who don't really care what your opinion is and why it is what it is.

I'm not sure why you seem to be encountering so much more resistance, maybe times are just changing. I am certain that your overwhelming presence in many topics does not seem to be promoting a positive reputation towards a thriving and active forum, as seen by newer members. In fact, I believe it has the opposite effect.

I have made an effort to stay on topic and answer the OP. What have you done, other than hijack another thread and send it in a long-winded direction of your choosing, defining modern?:rolleyes:

Sorry, I did not see any need for that, especially considering how little relevance world coin topics hold on this primarily US and Ancient forum. Just seems like you're here all the time, always, turning something into a long and drawn out debate, with no end in sight.

Keep up the good fight, but, I'm not surprised, considering your status, overall attitude and approach towards others, especially those who are new and aren't part of what feels like an established, outdated good old boys club.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  5. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I must be reading a different thread. The OP asked for a list of rare and modern world coins. Since those are two very loose terms, I would expect some discussion on what they might mean in this context. The only thing I see as odd in this thread is that the OP has never come back to add any clarity to his question, despite a pretty clear message that it could use clarification.

sonlarson and Kentucky like this.
  6. torontokuba

You're also reading a thread, where in the first response, @GDJMSP declares that "there wouldn't be any".

Sort of puts a damper on any and all intentions the OP may have had, don't you think?

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Nah, only certain people who obsess with you...you charming devil.

8. Kentucky

Actually prompts a discussion of modern and rare which is necessary to answer the question.

9. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I couldn't say what's in the OP's mind, and I don't plan on speculating...

10. torontokuba

Yeah, that's why I threw popularity into the mix.

No comment necessary.

I like the Freeman Scale approach.

I would venture to add, that you discount the countless individuals who no longer participate on CT because of the "charming devil".

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  11. torontokuba

For starters, he stated he was interested in the top 100 rare modern world coins. That possibility was negated in the very first response, according to @GDJMSP.

green18 likes this.
  12. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I have to disagree. ;)

I would define modern WORLD coins as any coins struck after the coiuntry switched principally to base metal coins. For the main part this occurred in one country after another starting after WW II. There are many moderns with mintages between one and ten and thousands with mintages between 10 and 500. Most of these are of course, special issues or NCLT.

To me personally I collect world modernsd strictly in Unc so "rare" means extremely difficult to acquire in Unc. Coins like a 1950-E aluminum East German 10p are quite scarce above even VF. A nice Unc will keep you looking. Most of the high mintage moderns have no demand at all so no one knows how rare they really are. Unless there is demand there is no means to estimate supply other than anecdotal evidence.

We each define "rare" and we each define "modern". I choose my definition of modern because people quit saving new coins when base metal was removed from the coinage of a country. I define rare as anything I can't find even after moving heaven and earth.

joecoincollect and torontokuba like this.
  13. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I never said two of the three things you quoted me on here :)

torontokuba likes this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I don't know.....what's all the hub-bub about?

15. torontokuba

Please excuse the editing "oops". :sorry:

Numismat likes this.
  16. torontokuba

I disagree.

17. Kentucky

I am shocked.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Oh we don't really disagree Sam, but then in the 15+ years that we've known each other, we seldom have :)

You are however pointing out exceptions, special issues and NCLT, that are not really pertinent to the question because, by strict definition, it could be argued that they are not even coins - coin - a piece of metal stamped and issued by the authority of a government for use as money. Since they are not issued for use as money, they are not coins. But based on number alone yes they can be considered rare. On that, we do agree.

And you have also introduced the concept of conditional rarity, which is also not really pertinent to the question, because on the basis of conditional rarity, which is grossly different than absolute rarity (which is what I thought we were talking about in this thread), almost any coin could be considered rare.

19. jlesliec

jlesliec Active Member

These lists are interesting [to us collectors, anyway], but I'd be more impressed by a list that excluded junk like bullion issues. Real coins only, please!

20. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

NCLT is by definition legal tender. Even though it may not be used as money, it legally can be used as money and is thus a coin.

You can't just change the definition to suit your draconian and uninformed earlier statement Doug. Jeesh....

We always get into these "moving target" backtracks in threads -- something silly is said -- someone points out how silly it was -- "clarification" is made (usually amounting to now limiting the original definition to suit the needs of being right) -- rinse, repeat...

Tiring.

21. torontokuba

I appreciate you bringing these up.

The trial, essai, probe and pattern coins are part of a very real and legitimate area of numismatics. They requires plenty of cash, knowledge, patience and determination, when collecting.

I'm sure I can identify several hundred truly rare pieces just from Poland, between 1949 - 1990. What better way to learn about coins, than to study how we arrived at the finished circulation product and what options were considered along the way?

[​IMG]

A lot more than 100, from just one country, only considering 1949-1990, all very rare, click each one to view photos and more details...
    http://www.m4n.pl/monety/016/index_r.xml

I strongly doubt that the OP had these in mind, but, I would not discredit this portion of the modern field of numismatics, by grouping it with special issues, NCLTs or Modern Proofs.

One of the more expensive transactions, from the modern patterns, that I located, went for approx. US$4500.00, mintage of 5...
    http://wcn.pl/archive/49_0633?q=próba+prl&sc=price&sm=d

Last edited: May 13, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted