Can someone tell me the name of a site that has the top 100 rare modern world coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by billy b, May 11, 2015.

1. billy b

billy b Active Member

please and thank you.:cyclops:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

How do you define modern ? For that matter, how do you define rare ?

I'm asking because if I were to define modern and rare, there wouldn't be any, let alone a hundred of them.

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

If you use the eBay descriptions of "rare", that list would be over 1,000.

5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I'm gonna guess that such a site doesn't exist. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong.

6. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

http://www.pcgs.com/top100/foreword.aspx

Was that so hard? Even though you disagree that such a thing exists, on the contrary, it would appear as if the world, in its great injustice, disagrees with you. Why do you make things so difficult? It is as if you want to stir the pot so that you can be the one to come in and hand out the spankings.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  7. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

8. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

I think I will defend Doug on this one. The OP asked for a link for a site that has the top 100 RARE MODERN WORLD coins. The link you provided refers to the top 100 modern coins. The article and the list does not state that they are rare, only that the are unique and desirable. None are considered WORLD coins, unless you live onside of the U.S.. While some are considered RARE, many are not even close to being rare.

Doug's reply was, how do you define modern and rare? Seems to me he is asking for a clarification of the question in order to properly answer it. I do that all the time. Doug also stated, that by his definition, there would not be any. That is a statement of opinion and I respect his, yours, and anyone else's opinion. Doesn't matter if I agree with it or not. I got my own opinion. I have multiple sites that I use use, none have everything.

9. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

I did, in fact, in error, post an incorrect link. With a little more time, and not having overlooked the word "world", will provide a proper list. You can hold me to it.

But I find your other vector more interesting. It is as if you overlooked the overall theme of my post (with my link error I see how it happened) regarding "Doug" and the meaning, intent, etc, behind his posts. What I am pondering over now is the manner you responded; was it blindly, or assisted/guided/hinted/instructed :wideyed:/etc?--And I cannot digest the two answers in my head and find them reconciled properly. Either one has its own floundering.

10. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

How you define modern and how you define rare are good questions in reference to the original post. The PCGS link posted appears to define modern as 1964 and forward. Perhaps Doug has a later definition of modern and doesn't include varieties as the PCGS list does. By that definition the majority of the coins wouldn't be considered rare. From the perspective of the ancient collector all American coins are 'modern'. So it is a very open question.

Now, we expand that question to all world coins and it becomes terribly convoluted. I look forward to seeing the list you find. Hopefully a couple Canadian coins make the list! I hope the 1991 quarter, despite its low average price, makes the list!

11. sonlarson

See PM.

12. torontokuba

Just finding links to the top 10, 50, 100 modern coins from various countries, should be helpful. Finding a hundred rare modern coins worldwide, should be no problem. You can even make your own list based on the countries that interest you the most.

The 1983 version of this coin is another one that sticks out for me...

http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2074.html

I also appreciate the corrected backwards 11 in the date of this coin...

http://www.norges-bank.no/en/Published/News-archive/2011/50-ore-coins-with-date-error/

... the actual error being a higher mintage than the version with the corrected 2011 date.

13. torontokuba

There is this one, version without a mint mark...

http://wcn.pl/archive/23_0601?q=1973 10 groszy&sc=price&sm=d

This one seems to be unspeakably rare for its country of origin...

http://wcn.pl/archive/19_0583?q=1977 10 mickiewicz

We shouldn't omit the rare Cheerios dollar...

http://www.pcgs.com/News/Cheerios-Sacagawea-Dollar-Found-Without-Enhanced-Tail-Feathers-Design

... or the undated 2008 20 Pence...

http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-Undated-20-Pence-Scam-/10000000017257082/g.html

If I can provide you with approx. 10 that sparked my interest and nine others do the same, you'll be at 100 in no time.

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Would defining "modern" be different than the opposite of ancient? There has been plenty discussion of the definition of "ancient". I think of modern as 20th century to the present, and rare could be taken as expensive. Many definitions are fraught with danger unless you specify what you want.

Numismat likes this.
  15. Numismat

I collect almost exclusively world (non-US) coins and have considered "modern" to mean 1960 and later. And anything made in the age of NCLT "coins" as ultra-modern. And, sadly, all too many people confuse value for rarity.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I was surprised when I started collecting French coins, that they call 1789 (post Revolution) and newer "modern", and that's how the dealers organize them.

Inquisitive and J.A.K. like this.
  17. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

The world red book (as much as that is worth) would say about 1850, with dates varying by country (1872ish for German States, for example).

How about post WWII, no NIFC ?

18. torontokuba

Judging by the OP, I really don't see a reason as to why this discussion should turn into a definition of "modern". It's really not that specific a topic under the World Coins category. Many modern world coin mintages are rare, compared to modern US coin mintages. Most US collectors do not appreciate the mintage rarity of World Coins. Overall, US is a good source of rare foreign finds in junk bins or at spot.

New Zealand, Australia and surrounding islands have many underappreciated rare coins. I guess popularity plays a large role in what is considered rare and what isn't.

Here is another one that comes to mind, 1958 R 2 Lire, but, beware, there are plenty of fakes floating around... http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2424.html

19. Numismat

With a lot of the foreign material you mention, it's more a matter of condition rarity than general rarity, as the demand is far lower than for US coins with 50x the mintage numbers

20. sonlarson

Might add the 1946 and 1947 Italy 1 Lira. I have a fake 1946

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well, I guess I should have known better. It seems at times that no matter what the subject matter might be, if I dare to voice my opinion, let alone ask a question, somebody is going to have a problem with my doing that :rolleyes:

The question was just that, and honest, pertinent, and rather straightforward question - nothing more. And the opinion, merely my opinion, nothing more. But instead of having a problem with my opinion, why not ask why my opinion is what it is ?

Well, that's a somewhat complicated answer, but not at all a difficult question. In regard to how I define rare, I base my opinion on the opinions and definitions put forward by knowledgeable people. People who have written the books on coins and stated their definitions of what is rare and what is not. That said, there are many different rarity scales and they can vary greatly depending on the subject coins at hand. I am aware of and have copies of quite a few of those rarity scales, and have even posted many of them here on this forum numerous times in order to share that information with others.

And rarity scales are not something new. Just like coin collecting goes back a long ways, so do established and published rarity scales. And it is these rarity scales that help establish and define what rare actually is, what it means, its very definition. But as so often happens with things, the passage of time and the interjection of people's personal definitions for words as opposed to those already established definitions, well the "perception" of definitions change. Especially if and when the changing of established definitions is desirable for personal reasons.

So what might some examples be of how "rare" is defined ? Here's one that goes back a ways.

english rarity scale.jpg

As you can see, that one was established in 1649. And it does a pretty good job of defining just what rare is. Here is another, from more modern times, but still well over 50 years old. And also one that should be more recognizable to most.

The Sheldon Scale
    R-1 Common
    R-2 Not So Common
    R-3 Scarce
    R-4 Very Scarce (population est at 76-200)
    R-5 Rare (31-75)
    R-6 Very Rare (13-30)
    R-7 Extremely rare (4-12)
    R-8 Unique or Nearly So (1,2 or 3)

Again, as you can see, the word rare is pretty well defined by number. And it is from sources like these, and there are many others, upon which I base my opinion of how "rare" is defined.

And that's pretty much how the world defined rare too. At least until things like coin forums and ebay came along. Then rare came to mean just about anything anybody wanted it to mean. Rare became an overused, and abused, term that ceased to have any real meaning, possibly excepting those who actually know what it means and has always meant, for hundreds of years. I stand in that group, thus my opinion.

Now modern, that's a different story. And as evidenced by the responses in this thread a widely varied story. And I suppose that is to be expected because modern is one of those words whose definition largely depends upon the context of its use. So do I define modern in regard to coins ? I kind of do it the same way PCGS does. They define modern as anything minted '65 or later, the end of silver in our coins. And I kind of do it that way too. But since the rest of the world stopped using silver in their coins at different points in time with some starting as early as the 1930's and others even after that US did it, I pick a spot kind of close to the middle, I define it as post WW II when it comes to world coins.

Now given those two explanations as to how and why my opinion is what it is, my original comments and question stand. Of course, any and all are welcome to disagree ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted