Can someone tell me if this is a quarter?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Murillo, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, sorry not sure if this is the right site to post this on, if it is the wrong site I will repost. Was wondering if someone could tell me if this is a quarter, I have been on google and found this coin with some information but because this coin is not in good shape at all the back of the coin doesn't show the 25 on it.

I know that there is an original 1827 and the other they called it a restrike, this is asking a lot from someone on this site but can someone tell which one this is? Are there other things to look for on this coin that would identify the original or restrike?
    Thank you

Attached Files:

love old coins and capthank like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Definitely not an 1827 quarter not a restrike and not the proof.Most likely a capped bust dime is the diameter similar to a dime if so that's your answer,If not then a very worn half dollar.

Murillo likes this.
  4. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

If it is the same size as a quarter then it is a quarter. Its a capped bust something.

Murillo, JPD3 and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. potty dollar 1878

They didn't make a regular strike capped bust quarter in 1927.Only in proofs and the restrikes which actually they are not technically,just mixed die pairings from different periods.
    Both are extremely rare with only a few dozen of each known to exist.

Mr.Q and Murillo like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like a half dollar 1827 to me.

Mr.Q, Murillo and spirityoda like this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Wow , This threads a bust ! :hilarious:
    Seriously, looks like 10C guys. Is that 25 cents ? Didn't think so . :meh::hilarious:

Mr.Q and Murillo like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just compare it to a modern day Dime, quarter and a half. When the size fits, you’ll know what the denomination is.

Mountain Man, goossen, Mr.Q and 3 others like this.
  9. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

It's not a quarter. 1827 quarters have a very distinct & ornate '2' . And, as noted, they're rare. (Photo courtesy USA Coinbook)

1827-original-vs-restrike-capped-bust-quarter.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    capthank, John Johnson and GH#75 like this.
  10. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

There were no proofs produced for the Liberty Cap Quarter in 1827. Just original curl base mintage & restrike, square base. The restrikes were produced privately according to the Redbook.

11. potty dollar 1878

I thought they were different but apparently the restrikes are proofs also.

12. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Yeah. The Mint sold the dies as scrap and those "restrikes" were privately struck, but using original mint dies, so they are also considered part of the total 4000 mintage.
    An interesting bit of trivia is that the 1827 Capped Bust Halves also list curl base and square base 2s.

Murillo likes this.
  13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's a dime. Compare the size of the stars for the dime, quarter, and half in relation to the rest of the design

Mainebill likes this.
  14. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link.

15. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

The top part of the 2 gives it away. If it's the size of a quarter, it's fake.

16. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Well, did you look at the edge? Reeded or lettered?

The "7" matches the half dollar, not the quarter.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Capped bust design, they didn't make half dimes in 1827 so that is out, the date is too far away from the bust to be a half dollar. That looks like the top of a 1 below the leftmost eagle talons so without knowing the size or weight I would say it's an 1827 capped bust dime.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

agreed, the reverse looks like a one at the bottom

19. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

The standard US denominations of this era are all somewhat (slightly, but noticeably) larger than those of modern-day US coins of those same denominations. With the denomination on the reverse as worn and illegible as it is, it's not too much of a stretch for someone to mistake it for a quarter (perhaps some wishful thinking is in play here as well: "Aha!...zebras!", you know?) but even as much more common as they are than the quarters, a capped bust dime is a pretty good find - clear date - not terminally ugly (the existing patina isn't terrible-looking) you won't see them turning up every day.

20. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

It’s a dime, that’s not even a question. The Bust 50C has an Eagle on the reverse, not a chicken.

@Murillo what’s the diameter? 18.8mm or 27mm?

21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Modern dimes are slightly smaller 17.9mm vs 18.8mm (Bust dimes), but they should be very close.

Murillo and Hookman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted