Can someone confirm if this is a 1972 DDO 50c Kennedy Half Dollar?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Justawesome, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Justawesome

Justawesome Active Member

I know i'm seeing something but I want to get confirmation as to what it is :)

Please and thank you folks.

WIN_20200211_21_23_20_Pro.jpg WIN_20200211_21_18_46_Pro.jpg WIN_20200211_21_19_08_Pro.jpg WIN_20200211_21_19_25_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nope! ~ Chris

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Die Deterioration Doubling. Not a DDO

5. Justawesome

Still learning... thank you!

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

7. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

It needs to look something like these. Trust me, when you see it you'll know it! Good luck with your searching.

S20200120_004.jpg
    S20200104_005.jpg

eddiespin and Justawesome like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

NAV or no added value doubling.

9. Justawesome

I had been doing research on an off for quite a while, years really - starting from the top.. through to how coins can be multi-stuck (some quadruple) I always found I was hung up in this point as a doubled die doesn't necessarily involve the coin being stuck more than once. As i am sure many others. Over the last day, I thoroughly researched EVERYTHING ( have various medias that I seem to pick up different information more efficiently dependent on the means.)

At this point i believe I have it, barring some additional practice ...and just as your pictures indicated the effect is drastically different. One is clearly doubling within the fields of the coins as you indicate. My examples showed ore of a shadow effect around of below 'In GOD WE TRUST'.

Anyway, i just wanted to reach out and thank you for the example and lesson. Through people like you I could be become someone with knowledge to share in the future as opposed to to still needing guidance. I'm just in my 30's so I'd have to say I speak to just starting out in there 20's (only the facts i'm 100% sure one)

So glad to have this community filled with genuine, patience and interest in he needs of the other members. What a great hobby.

Interestingly, from 6 boxes of haves ($3000 face) I have found a LARGE group of interesting coins for further inspection. Once i have a better handle on that art I may be back with a few questions before dropping the money on grading.

Cheers. And thank you all!

Islander80-83 likes this.
  10. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

No problem. You might be correct with regards to your coin. Your pictures aren't quite good enough to see what you might be seeing.

I'm not a expert, I'm just a hobbyist. I "personally" can't/don't get down into the minutiae, needing a scanning electron microscope to see these anomalies.

I see something happening here on your coin. This looks promising IMO. This is where I always look first.

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 10.50.12 AM.png

11. Justawesome

I appreciate you weighting in. Maybe you are right, it would be pretty minor though. I am continuing to look for a god example. Right now I am concentrating on all the errors (i already brought back the none error years) Amazingly, I think i found more than one 1972 NO FG which has a pretty good PV.

Although i'm admittedly afraid to post pictures of them as I'm not ready to have my dreams dashed yet. But how hard can it be. Its there or not, and I understand the concept of being there but weakly struck. ..Otherwise i would have said I had 10!

12. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

A Doubled Die has nothing to do with the number of times a coin is struck.
    Coins are normally struck ONCE.

A Doubled Die has to do with the number of offset impressions on the DIE itself.
    There are 8 classes - or different varieties of Doubled Dies which may include Doubling at the Hub or Master Die level too.

If you take a half dollar,
    and press it into play-doh
    then slightly rotate it and press it in the pay-doh again
    you can think of the play-doh as the Die,
    which shows a Doubled Die offset image.
    Then if you dry the play-doh that is your die.

So when you stamp the Play-doh die onto another softer playdoh the image will show the offset/rotated image the FIRST time.
    ... if that makes sense

Draft saved Draft deleted