Can somebody help me identify this coin??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jonathan Goodwin, May 10, 2015.

1. Jonathan Goodwin

Jonathan Goodwin New Member

Click the picture below please.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Not ringing a bell. Can you post a pic of the other side?

NOS likes this.
  4. Jonathan Goodwin

Can't really tell much about it.

Attached Files:

5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

It is from 1940. It is a medallion for the 50 year anniversary of the founding of Woodmen of the World fraternal organization. You can find one on eBay if you do a search. I'll betcha someone metal detected yours![​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    swamp yankee, 712, gronnh20 and 3 others like this.
  6. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Soak that piece in olive oil for a month; it won't hurt it, but it "might" improve its appearance. I agree, looks T-H.

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nice! I was trying to research and could not find anything. I was even searching for 3 US Presidents on a tree!

8. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Woodmen of the World, and many other fraternal organizations, belong to another age, as foreign to us as the Internet or even television might have been to our great-grandfathers.

HOWEVER. The memorabilia generally brings very good prices on eBay; I'm not sure why.

9. Jonathan Goodwin

Awesome! Thanks guys! I'll try the olive oil and I metal detected it in my backyard lol. I have a strong passion for coins and their history.

derkerlegand and Mikey Zee like this.
  10. CHUCKCXB

CHUCKCXB Active Member

i thought it was ...the three stooges

712 likes this.
  11. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Nice work, derkerlegand, beat me to the answer.

Here is a little background on this area of exonumia, one of which I collect.This organization has issued many tokens over the years. It was founded in 1890 by Fred A. Falkenburg, and the headquarters was in Denver. Members could be found all over the civilized world, and it had the narrowest membership age limit of any such organization - 21 to 44, inclusive. Only white males engaged in preferred professions were accepted, and 46 types of work were listed as ineligible, allowing it to enjoy the lowest loss of members to death of any such similar organization. It was primarily a patriotic, fraternal order, and would pay $1000 to $3000 to dependent relatives of any member who passed away. Dues were usually 50 cents/month back in the late 1890's, but an additional amount of insurance could be purchased for an extra monthly fee of between 35 cents to 2.25, depending upon the member's age and amount of extra insurance.

One would think this a relatively safe group of men to insure, but things can happen. For instance, in 1899, 27 members just from the state of Oregon passed away, most of them in Manila of typhoid. Another benefit was that the society would place a beautiful and lasting monument to mark the final resting place of any member.

Woodmen of the World (Life Insurance) is still operating today in some states, and in other states operates under the name of Assured Life Association. Their motto Dum Tacet Clamat means "though silent, he speaks".

gronnh20 and derkerlegand like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted