Can I trust ebay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by USAcoinMaster, May 23, 2015.

1. USAcoinMaster

USAcoinMaster New Member

I started collecting in december and have acquired a lot of silver can i trust ebay to buy off of them?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Charles1997

Charles1997 Well-Known Member

Yes, I buy and sell on eBay every day!

4. USAcoinMaster

USAcoinMaster New Member

But how about when they say "unsearched" wheat rolls

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

It's not eBay that you're trusting or not; it's the human being on the other end of the transaction. eBay may intercede in some cases, but you have the responsibility to read everything and assume nothing.

Copper56, Ed Sims, Steve972 and 6 others like this.
  6. Charles1997

Charles1997 Well-Known Member

No, almost all rolls are searched. The wheat roll coin lottery is neat though!!

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

No such thing. "Unsearched" may mean "Unsearched by me", but someone searched through them before they got in that roll, trust me.

8. USAcoinMaster

USAcoinMaster New Member

9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of trusting eBay so much as trusting individual sellers.

"Unsearched" rolls or jars of coins, and "estate sale" lots are some of the worst things you can buy on eBay. That said, buying coins from actual estate sales can work out, provided you get to see the coins in hand and make your own judgement about them.

Cleaned and fake coins are rather plentiful on eBay, so you have to watch out. Coins certified by the major TPGs are relatively safe in that you'll probably get what you buy (e.g. listing says PCGS VF 30, you're likely to get a PCGS VF 30). But, even with certified coins, you have to watch out as there are high end and low end coins within a given grade.

Look for good pictures and a return policy. Watch out for cleaned coins, and be suspicious of anything that looks too good to be true.

micbraun, KSorbo, d.t.menace and 2 others like this.
  10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Lot's of good advice . Always check a sellers feedback and read the whole listing . Make sure they have a return policy . For Silver I fid buying off the well known big companies is safe , but as always they're there to make money . There's lots of good old threads about buying on eBay , read them . Or you could start a thread to ask opinions on a coin or seller , as it is pretty well established that no-one else will bid on something you are in most cases , but as in all things there are exceptions .

d.t.menace and Peter T Davis like this.
  11. Captain Jack

Captain Jack New Member

Beware of counterfeits.... but there is a lot of legitimate stuff, just use common sense....

12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

It's simple, if it sounds too good to be true then it is and it's most likely a scam. Just use common sense and increase the chances of not getting ripped off by protecting yourself. Only buy from reputable sellers and only buy silver rounds that don't look fishy, stick to American Silver Eagles or junk silver. Ebay has a ton of trustworthy sellers but you can't get caught up in bidding wars and you gotta use common sense. Go with your gut and don't bid on anything for weak reasons.

fish4uinmd, rzage and Paul M. like this.
  13. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I never think about returns when purchasing on ebay. If I'm not so sure about something, ie if the pics are unclear or the seller has less than 99 percent or so feedback, I won't bid in the first place. I've sold a lot on there and have perfect feedback, but I don't offer returns. I describe things in detail and offer good pics.

mlov43 and Paul M. like this.
  14. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever returned anything, but I never buy coins off eBay from anyone without a return privilege. If nothing else, listing a return privilege shows the seller stands behind his coins.

rzage likes this.
  15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

This, this, this. Resist the temptation and keep shopping.

I'll never take a chance on a seller with bad feedback. I've taken a chance a couple of times on fuzzy pics, but they were cheap coins, so inconsequential risk. Never on pricier coins.

16. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I gotta agree about bidding wars, you need to learn when to back off and let that coin go. Also check out the people who are bidding against you and look at their bidding history with the seller. If they show 50% or higher history of bids with that seller they could be shill bidders. Shill bidding is one of the big problems on ebay and ebay does not do a good job of stopping it.

Also learn how to snipe bid and don't bump bid an item

17. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Once you learn it, ebay is a great place to buy coins. And for me it is the only place to buy coins. I mostly collect Italian coins from 1700 to 1900 and my local dealers only have the common stuff. I also go to the big coin shows in Calif. and almost never see the coins I'm looking for.

18. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

You should also read the feedback before just accepting it. A lot of people are just unreasonable. We got a bad mark because USPS lost the package. We promptly refunded, apologized (not our fault?) and lost the money on it. There was just no winning with this lady, you'd think we kicked her dog or something - all over a $15 item. And since don't have the volume of a professional seller - 1 negative can really hurt. Just use a bit of caution, a lot of people also have multiple identities they build up only to screw someone later down the road.

19. Dragoneater

Dragoneater New Member

YOU CAN FIGHT THAT BAD FEED BACK AND WIN.AS LONG AS YOU DID EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER TO SATISFY THAT CUSTOMER AND DID IN FACT OFFER AND GIVE A REFUND THEN E-BAY HAS TO TAKE THAT NEGATIVE FEED BACK BACK.I JUST HAD 2 NASTY ONES REMOVED AND THEY WERE BOTH SIMILAR IN NATURE TO YOURS FROM THE SAME WOMEN.ASK THE REP FOR THE DEPARTMENT THAT HANDLES THE TECHNICAL ISSUES LIKE FEED BACK REMOVALS AND THEN EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED.IF YOU DELETED THOSE MESSAGES FROM HER THEN YOUR SCREWED OF COURSE.THEY USE THOSE TO DETERMINE YOUR CASE.P.S.A E-BAY MANAGER FIGURE HAS POSTED A STATEMENT SAYING E-BAY ONLY CARES FOR THE BUYERS AND NOT THE SELLERS.WITH THAT ATTITUDE AND PHILOSOPHY THEY WON,T LAST LONG WITHOUT ANY ITEMS TO SELL.WHAT AN IDIOT!PS.PS.I ALWAYS TYPE IN LARGE CAPS.JIM

20. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

I have had very good experiences on Ebay with culls to MS65's...but as always, BUYER BEWARE...and agree with Vcurt's post above.

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Meh. Last week I came across a new BIN for 31 2013 ASEs, $480 shipped. Brand-new seller, no feedback. I thought about it for a minute or two, then went for it. Here's my reasoning.

Most likely outcome: I get no coins, no shipping notification, nothing. eBay refunds my money. I've had this happen quite a few times.

Next most likely: I get shipping notification, but it goes somewhere else, or I receive it and it's something other than 31 legit ASEs. I let eBay know, they send me a return label (if I received it in the first place), and eBay refunds my money. This has happened a lot, too.

Less likely, but still quite possible: I get exactly what was advertised, and I've picked up 31 ASEs below melt. Legitimate BINs for silver or even gold below melt do sometimes show up.

Least likely: I somehow lose my money without receiving the advertised items. Hasn't happened yet, over four or five years of active buying under eBay's current rules.

Buyer Protection is a powerful tool. I understand that eBay can cut you off as a buyer if you initiate too many claims or returns, but I've had some pretty big claims over the last few years (single claims in the high four figures, total well into five figures), and they haven't pulled my plug yet. This leads me to take chances on auctions where I wouldn't have looked twice without BP. As a result, I sometimes get bargains -- if nothing else, it weeds out a lot of competing buyers who don't trust BP. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted