CAN I PLEASE get an opinion of this coin??????? and fast, it ends in less than an hour!!!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by john65999, Dec 24, 2020.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

That's actually a rare year so it should have sold for a tad more. Looks a bit fake, I don't know for sure and maybe I'm wrong but here's the pics! The back part of the crown and hair look bad.

fake1.jpg fake2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I have 100% rating. Many sellers do.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Here is a photo from PCGS if you want to compare. The 8's on the OP coin are thicker than this photo.
    40323375_200434712_800x800.jpg

rosethe and fretboard like this.
  5. fretboard

Yeah the whole date looks a tad different! The 6 and the O in Dollar don't look right either. :D

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think those nuances are just due to the strike differences in the coins. The overall orientation looks good. On the reverse, look at the D in DOLLAR, how it’s a little low; and the 1 in date, how that’s leaning left ever so slightly. These aren’t expected to be carbon copies, after all.

john65999 likes this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is the one on my set. It is a PCGS MS-65.

1886 Gold Dollar O.jpg 1886 Gold Dollar R.jpg

The gold dollars in the 1880s have low mintages, but the survival rates were high too. Many of them were saved and most are in high grade. Proof-likes (though rarely mentioned on the slab) are not unusual because the mintages were low. The dies didn't get a chance to have the initial polishing worn off of them. If the OP is genuine, it's no better than AU-55 or 58. I don't know that it would be the easiest coin to resell, especially since it has not been graded.

Here are two more.

This 1880 gold dollar is NOT a Proof. It it were a Proof, it would be a big deal because the mintage was 36 pieces. It would be worth a lot more money.

1880 Gold Dollar O.jpg 1880 Gold Dollar R.jpg

This 1883 gold dollar IS a Proof with the Cameo designation. The Proof mintage for this year was 207. In 1884 the Proof mintage went up to over a thousand every year for the rest of the series. That is high for an "old gold" Proof coin.

1883 Gold Dollar O.jpg 1883 Gold Dollar R.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    fretboard and Michael K like this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Actually they are pretty darn close to it. Many of these dates were made with one set of dies.

For the record, I think that the OP is genuine, but it should be certified for sale. Years ago I had one that I thought had no problems, but it came back in "cleaned" body bag. It's worth fighting city hall. I sold if off at a loss and moved on.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

In addition to the wear, I see lots of hairlines on the auctioned coin.

I don't trust myself at all with gold dollars. Even the good ones tend to look fake to me -- the Mints seemed to struggle with such small coins. I've bought a couple, but only when I could get them close to melt, which obviously doesn't happen very often. No way would I risk paying a fair price for a raw one from an unknown seller. :rolleyes:

10. Philip Brozovic

Philip Brozovic New Member

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

But sellers who don't know much sometimes list interesting things without realizing it.

12. fretboard

Yes, you're probably right and it looks real enough to me! That said, the haze on it ruins it for me and real or not, I would have passed! :cigar:

rosethe likes this.
  13. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

a lot of dealers on ebay say scarce for every coin they sel, even for 64-d's, lol so descriptive terms mean nothing...many say uncirculated that are clearly not, you have to view the photos and grade yourself...

14. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i did

15. fretboard

Yes, I know! ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted