Can I get your input on these counterstamped US coins?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TradingGreen, Jul 31, 2015.

1. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

I have a friend who retired from the coin business years ago and he still has many coins. These are a few of them that he would like more info about - like where did they originate and approximate value. edpbfraley.jpg edLcentRFcs.jpg ed1858FEmirrorcs.jpg ed1901saco.jpg

swamp yankee and chromerunner like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice stuff.

Our resident expert will be here shortly.

BRandM

Jwt708 likes this.
  4. TradingGreen

Thank you. Here are a few more. ed1825heartcs.jpg ed1800dgcs.jpg ed1817ehcs.jpg ed1836hbuel.jpg

swamp yankee and BRandM like this.
  5. Treashunt

More nice ones.

BRandM is the expert on these.

BRandM likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

@BRandM

That should get cousin Bruce's attention. :)

BRandM likes this.
  7. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

O.K., you got my attention , guys.:)

That's a nice selection of counterstamps, TradingGreen. I'll be happy to look into them for you, but it will take a little time. I'll make note of the legends and see what I can find. I do recognize a couple of them...particularly the "Ben Wood" and the "RF". BTW, are there any stamps on the other side of the coins? Also, could you get a closer picture of the "RF" stamp? Thanks!

Bruce

Del Ihle, NSP, green18 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Bruce is our expert - and a very generous man!

BRandM and green18 like this.
  9. TradingGreen

Well, sorry for the delay. None of the scanned coins have any cs marks on the opposite sides. The RF stamp I tried to work on however I'm using a flatbed scanner and not having any luck. I'll see what I can do with my camera and let you know. I really do appreciate your effort in this. My friend has a lot of counterstamped coins so we'll need to talk a bit about any continuing of your work beyond these 8 coins.

Rich

BRandM likes this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Not sure how big your friend is into collecting these but there is a reference book out there on counterstamps. I can't remember the the name...

TradingGreen likes this.
  11. TradingGreen

Thank you. There is a book by Brunk. I did order the 3 book set for him that Rich Hartzog sells on counterstamps. This man is 85 and ran his own coin shop in Connecticut years ago. So he has tons of knowledge but not in this area. He has about 60 cs coins some are listed in Brunk and some aren't. He is at the point in his life that he is selling (so he says - I still see him buying all the time).

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ya that's it, Brunk.

13. BRandM

I've checked out your counterstamps,TradingGreen, and have some comments for you.

The two initial stamps...E.H and DG...are both unlisted in any references I have. These are what's known as American Primitives because of their crude workmanship. Neither can likely be identified, simply because initial-only stamps provide no real information to research. Although crude, these Primitives have a certain appeal to them. Very reminiscent of the Indiana Primitive series of Civil War tokens issued by Henry Higgins.

Unfortunately, "H. Bull" is too common a name to have a reasonable chance of attributing. This stamp is also unlisted.

The neat heart stamp is what's known as a pictorial, a symbol or object with no supporting text. I think pictorials are an interesting area of counterstamp collecting, but rarely can be assigned an issuer.

"Ben Wood / Saco / Maine" is obviously a modern piece because it's stamped on a 1901 Morgan Dollar. I would guess it's c1920s-1940s. I did a quick check but found no Ben Wood in Saco. I'm sure he can be found with a bit of effort. Generally, counterstamps that provide a name and location, can be. This one's also unlisted, but it looks familiar to me.

"JH & Co." is unusual because it's what's called a retrograde stamp. This reverse-image type stamp isn't common, but I've seen a number of examples over the years. Apparently, they were made this way to stamp a raised design or legend on the opposite side of something. A stamp-through I suppose you could say. Brunk does list this one as H-36. Yours is the only documented example so far. No one has attributed it yet. Again, initial stamps are very tough to research.

The "RF" stamps are well known and have been extensively researched. Apparently, ALL of them are thought to be fantasy stamps...counterstamps that are meant to deceive. Although these pieces are over a hundred years old, the stamps were issued to appeal to collectors of French Colonial and West Indies coins. "RF" stands for Republique Francaise and were supposed to have authorized their circulation on Guadeloupe. Many hundreds or even thousands of these were issued and are seen regularly on eBay and in other auctions.

The best one of the eight is the "F.B.Fraley" stamp. Although unlisted, I spent a bit of time researching this one. Peter B. Fraley was a Philadelphia saw and tool maker who started his business in 1850. He was listed in city directories as a machinists as early as 1846, but didn't specialize until 1850. He worked at various addresses in Kensington...790 N. 2nd, Lydia St., until 1859, when he sold his business to Henry Disston. Disston was the "800 pound gorilla" of Philadelphia sawmakers. He bought dozens of manufacturers over the years an monopolized the industry for many years. Apparently, Fraley retired after selling out an became a "gentleman". This was the way retired, well-to-do men were often described in directories of that era. He later served as an alderman for the West Philadelphia neighborhood of Hestonville. An interesting counterstamp for sure.

I'm still checking on a few things, TradingGreen, and if I come up with any additional information, I'll post it. In the meantime, if you have others you'd like me to look into, I'll be happy to do so.

Bruce

Rassi, ldhair, green18 and 3 others like this.
  14. BRandM

Aw, Shucks! :D

Bruce

15. Treashunt

Bruce is da man!

BRandM likes this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well done Bruce. I hope to be a gentleman one day.

BRandM likes this.
  17. TradingGreen

Fantastic. Thank you very much.

18. TradingGreen

Any idea of values for that group, Bruce?

Rich

19. TradingGreen

ed1786VTunkcs.jpg ed1797dholden.jpg ed1828flowercs.jpg ed1831starcs.jpg Since you're having a good time here is another group -

swamp yankee likes this.
  20. TradingGreen

I just noticed that in the last group you read one as H Bull and it is actually H Buel.

Rich

21. BRandM

Sorry, Rich! I wasn't sure of that one. I'll check Buel then.
    Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted