Can I find anything good metal detecting where I live?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Omegaraptor, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I live near Portland, OR and I'm wondering if I can find anything good metal detecting there. Thank you for your answers.

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There is no telling what you might find. There was a lot of north-south traffic during the gold rush years. The only thing I don't think you'll find is Spanish shipwreck treasure.

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Oregon is a pretty good spot actually. Lots of early settlers would have had access to Carson City and scarce San Francisco mint coins.

5. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

I use to live in Bend and heard rumors of covered wagons being attacked and the valuables being left behind over towards the Prineville area. If you want to do some traveling and look for a needle in a haystack :)

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm sure that area has plenty of rivers I search known river crossings , plus here a lot of ships and barges were run a ground and burnt. You could find all sorts of medal . Do a search of the area you live ,reference known trails, inns/taverns, etc. Think out side the box and research it. You never know what you can find before you go looking.

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

sure, you can find stuff anywhere.

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. James S

James S Low Mintage

Don't get discouraged if you dig up nails pull tabs coke cans ETC stay motivated

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

I came out here from Boston Mass. to search for the goodies the old timers hid during Prohibition and Roosevelt's gold grab.The Colombia R. was the "Bootlegger's Superhighway" back in the day. HH

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

In H.S. way back when.....I took an archaeology course, my H S was near an old road that ran as one of the hubs from the rural area out side Baltimore into town.
    Liberty Rd as well as a few other roads were the main routes into Baltimore .
    Up Liberty Rd was an area called Soldiers delight. It was an area that was deemed enough acres for 100 soldiers to live. It was also a protection from the western side of the city. This area we had digs,and dug up all sorts of items. Gun barrels , old shoes well old shoe leather ,china,bottles,etc.
    Try researching old forts, trails, inns,
    If you Google Solider Delight in Maryland,you will be able to read about this area I am talking about.
    This will give you ideas of similar areas in your area. Then the hunt is on!

11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

OK, what I'm hearing sounds awesome! What metal detector to get for under $200? I'm a coinshooter and have heard good things about the Ace 250.

The AT Pro is quite expensive but I've heard it vacuums up even very deep coins.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  12. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Hey Omegaraptor, I'm in Vancouver. I've been metal detecting the area for years. Shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to chat with you about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted