Can I conserve/clean this properly?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

He bought to flip not for his collection however he has unobtainable goals

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Hey Chris, I "guarantee" I make money on this coin. :happy:

4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Well in that case, I don't see a real problem with trying. I'm sure you could get your money back even if it got a bit messed up, so in this case you really can't lose too much. It's definitely a gamble.
    I've done similar things with the clarinets and other instruments I restore. I'll get a beater for cheap, with the hopes of making bank when restored. Sometimes I mess up and break something, but then I can always break even or maybe lose a couple dollars by selling for parts.
    But, sometimes, my efforts would succeed and I would end up with a gem.

SO although many here say that you would ruin the look of the coin and it would be crime to numismatics, I think you have much more to gain than lose.

C-B-D likes this.
  5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Lol. I don't doubt that's possible. I do however highly doubt the probability of success of your original plan.

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

If by gamble you mean slim to none and slim just left the room then sure.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

I'm not entirely the best at gambling, evidenced by my record-high $500 loss in one day to day trading penny stocks...

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:rolleyes: For the third :facepalm: time: I am 100% sure that you should not touch this coin and enjoy it as it is. I like it. I had a fellow who worked at NCS take a look at your post. That's why I'd bet NCS or any other service would not touch it. I'll take that back. I'll bet at least ANACS or PCGS would take a crack at it as they have nothing to loose and will get paid to ruin it for you. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    I would find a coin I like and trade out of this one as its value will not appreciate as quickly as a normal coin.

Your coin is dead. It is an attractive cull/hole filler. Think of it this way. Right now it is dead and in Purgatory. If you mess with it, it will still be dead but in Hell. Your coin will never get to Heaven. o_O

I'll bet they will not touch it unless you write a note that they can do anything they wish and you will not be unhappy. They can experiment on it with your money and it will still be "detailed."

It is already preserved. Nothing further to corrode. The sulfur crust has entombed it.

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Hahaha! If you consider this a cull or hole filler, then you have just lost all credibility. Wow. But thanks for the rest of your post, I suppose.

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If you are going to do it anyway, use a very dilute dip, 1:10 water, and watch it. When you can detect some lightening of the color, stop, rinse well with water and acetone and let set for a day. Repeat until you get a color still several steps darker than you want and study the effects a long time before trying any further. Either way, you will learn a valuable lesson.

Stevearino, C-B-D and hotwheelsearl like this.
  11. hotwheelsearl

I am very curious to see how it turns out. I am hoping for the best, for CBD's sake.
    If nothing else, it's good practice!

C-B-D likes this.
  12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Thanks. "Slow and low... that is the tempo."

13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nice Beastie Boys reference ;)

C-B-D likes this.
  14. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Thats gotta be the coolest reference EVER made on CT. I love that album!

C-B-D likes this.
  15. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Terminal sulfide layer, you can only make it worse IMO.

16. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Interesting thread. I sometimes look at coins like this and wonder if they could at least be "lightened up". Not pushing the OP to try it, but it could be educational. I don't think the coin has much appeal as is.

Stevearino likes this.
  17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nope. But they can be darkened :muted:

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If I remember correctly someone (V Kurt Bellman?)suggested using a dip that combined citric acid with thioacetamide to get a gentler dip than the sulfuric acid kind. Perhaps that would work. Also ancient coins sometimes respond well to a lemon juice soak. Eager to see how you come out.

19. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

No, they can't. It won't "lighten gradually," it'll remove fairly completely from thinnest to thickest coating. So, from the very start he's going to create a coin with the "measles" look and the only progress will be deleting more and more spots. By the time he gets to the toughest spots, the cleanest surfaces will be overdipped. He's going to learn that the hard way, with a valuable coin. So, two cardinal rules of coin conservation broken in one job.

longshot likes this.
  20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

SuperDave is mad and disappointed in me.

Insider likes this.
  21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm looking forward to your new images. Not sure the sellers images are showing us the true look of the coin. Either way I think the coin can survive a quick 1:10 dip.

Blissskr and C-B-D like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted