Can hubbed in debris transfer dies?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by 2manyhobbies, Sep 8, 2019.

1. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

The first nickel is a hubbed in debris nickel on the obverse of this nickel( first 2 pics). The other 2 pictured nickels appear to have the same hubbed in debris on the reverse, Although the last is very faint. I would like your thoughts? If so would this add to the rarity of these coins? DSC00082.JPG DSC00088.JPG DSC01439.JPG DSC01441.JPG DSC01450.JPG DSC01454.JPG DSC01455.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@2manyhobbies

Question: If the anomalies on the obverse were "hubbed-in debris" why does it look like there is coin metal pushed up along the edge?

Chris

4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Where did you come up with the term "hubbed-in debris"? Debris on a coin comes frim striking, and any raised pieces would be imparted on a coin by the dies.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think what they are trying to say is, during the die making process there was some debris on the hub, and thus the die has a "strikethrough" on the die itself. Thus, it would appear as a raised area on a struck coin. I've never heard of this happening, but I suppose it is theoretically possible.

I have no idea what they're talking about with "transferring dies".

6. 2manyhobbies

http://www.error-ref.com/hubbed-in-debris/ Mike Diamond confirmed the first coin as such. I was wondering if the "debris" can fall off the obverse die and basically land on the reverse die and create the same on the obverse side?

7. cpm9ball

I was looking at the wrong marks on the obverse. My faux pas!

Chris

8. cpm9ball

QUESTION: Is a horizontal press or a vertical press used to make the working dies?

Chris

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Possibly a defective planchet? I do not see the anomaly rising above any of the devices.

10. physics-fan3.14

That's cool. I figured it was possible, I just hadn't heard of it before.

No, it can't. The obverse and reverse dies are made at different times from different hubs.

You could have something fall of a hammer die onto the anvil die once installed into the coin press, because those are both present in the coining chamber at the same time. But that's something very different than a hubbing error.

Vertical.

11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It must be a damaged die. Possibly from a previous struck-through that damaged the die.
    From Error-ref.com- On the coin, the defect will appear as a raised imperfection that continues from the field to the design with no loss of clarity or relief.

http://www.error-ref.com/hubbed-in-debris/.

12. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

If the two faint ridges line up with each other, then it would have to be a case of complementary die dents produced when a foreign object was trapped between the dies and struck simultaneously by both in the absence of a planchet.

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. 2manyhobbies

Please pardon me, I've had a few adult beverages today. But The object that caused the hubbed in debris on the obverse would be very difficult to find it's way to the reverse die? Sorry not well versed on which die is which.

14. physics-fan3.14

Not "very difficult". Impossible.

Two separate hubs. Each side (obverse and reverse) is hubbed separately at different times. They make a whole bunch of obverse dies from one hub, and then they make a whole bunch of reverse dies from a reverse hub.

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Is this item Hubbed?
    Capture+_2019-09-08-20-05-55.png

16. TheFinn

Dies are struck on medal presses, one at a time. These have a vertical alignment and move much slower.

17. TheFinn

Exactly. Like a bolt or screw.

18. 2manyhobbies

I appreciate the responses that were helpful!

Draft saved Draft deleted