Can Chicago Support 2 World Coin Shows the same weekend in 2017?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by princeofwaldo, May 2, 2016.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Looks like the dates and location for the CICF have been announced for next year.

April 6 - 9, 2017 at the Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare Hotel and Convention Center.

It is to be the same week as the new show to be held at the Chicago Cultural Center sponsored by HJ Berk. Many world dealers have already signed-up for the Berk show, and my understanding is that Heritage will have an auction at this venue. Their dates are April 5 thru 8.

Do you think both shows can prosper if held at the same time? Will there be more ancients downtown and more world coins in Rosemont? I have a long personal history with the CICF and would love to see it continue, even if it has to be moved to the fall.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario that will work out well with both of these shows sharing the same dates, and I can only conclude that one show will be a clear winner while the other slips considerably in stature.

Aside from election results in November that lead to $400,000 an ounce gold by April, 2017, can you think of a scenario where the two show Alexander Hamilton-Aaron Burr showdown doesn't leave a casualty behind??

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Sure they can! All they have to do is put the US Mint in one location for the release of limited edition specials and the grading services in the other location........the farther apart the better!

Chris

Paul M. likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

If I were in or near Chicago, I'd go to both! Obviously, most dealers can't do that.

5. princeofwaldo

The United States Mint? I don't think that would work. Most world coin collectors are a bit more sophisticated than the likes of what was seen with the JFK coins (if that's what you're alluding to).

6. princeofwaldo

My point precisely, most dealers can't do both unless they spend twice the money and bring additional help with them to staff a second table at the other venue.

My own hope is that the CICF comes up with some sort of marketing effort to create an all out war of promotion between the two shows. Something along the lines of a free hourly drawing to give away 1727-M Brazil 20,000 Reis coins, --followed by HJ Berk retaliating with a free drawing for an MS-64 Una & The Lion 5 pound at noon on Friday.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'm not that into world coins except some Canadian and Mexican pieces but I really love Ancients . Is Harlan having an ancients show ? If he is , then I'd go as I'd love to see the dealers compete for my dollars !

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Exactly! :):)

Chris

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

No, it can't. Remember there is also Central States within a week or two also in Chicago, so that is where all US deals will be done.

Harlan starting his own show should have made CICF move their time. The fact that they didn't does not bode well for that show. I just wish both sides could have come to an agreement and had a bigger, better CICF featuring HJB or something. As it is, it looks to me as if CICF is trying to write its own obituary.

Paul M. and rzage like this.
  10. princeofwaldo

Agree completely. I suspect the real problem surrounds decisions being made by F+W in Cincinnati. They should be allowing the folks in Iola to run things and to make show schedules and commitments that reflect market realities.

rzage likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted