Can anyone tell me what kind of error these are?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NekyZero, Mar 2, 2021.

1. NekyZero

NekyZero New Member

Hey guys! I recently was able to start my own collection after being inspired by my grandfather's amazing collection and I'm still learning all the different kinds of errors. I wanna get more into selling, trading and accumulating all kinds of errors and what not.

This first quarter is .2 grams lighter than average and feels a tiny bit rough compared to a normal quarter and it's much darker. The "T" in trust is completely smoothed over. 20210302_094655.jpg 20210302_094642.jpg 20210302_094600.jpg

This next quarter looks like all the text around the circle are being smudged up towards the rim on both sides.
    20210302_095435.jpg 20210302_095445.jpg

This penny has some kind of extra circle outside the rim on both sides.
    20210302_095756.jpg 20210302_095814.jpg

This penny along with a few others I have found, have some kind of oily or greasy textre on the entire coin on both sides. (Teied cleaning, it's definitely embeded in the material.) 20210302_095934.jpg

This coin also has an odd texture of a series of lines across both sides. I have a few of these from different years, tried cleaning one and it's also definitely apart of the material or manufacturing error, whatever you guys call it.
    20210302_095642.jpg

I would like anyone's opinion on this dime, I feel it's a true cud because the rim follows the warp, but I would love second opinions. I have more I would like to share, but I reached my limit for this post. Any helpful tips, advice, input or opinions would be really appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

1st Quarter - Circulation wear ; Environmental Toning

2nd Quarter - Circulation wear

1st Cent - Ridge ring caused by a worn die

2nd Cent - Plating bubbles

3rd Cent - Also plating issue

Your Dime picture did not show.

NekyZero likes this.
  4. NekyZero

NekyZero New Member

This one looks like a double die, but it's hard for me to tell because I don't have one of those close cams and I have astigmatism in one eye. 20210302_100408.jpg 20210302_100411.jpg 20210302_100426.jpg

Attached Files:

5. paddyman98

I'm not seeing any Doubled Die doubling. Sorry.

6. NekyZero

NekyZero New Member

Oh wow, that was a super quick answer, thank you! I'll try uploading again. 20210302_100305.jpg

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

One thing that you are gonna need to do to get the best help is crop your photos and take them from directly above.
    The last dime is damaged.

NekyZero likes this.
  8. paddyman98

The Dime is PMD - Post Mint Damage
    Not a mint error of any kind.

spirityoda and NekyZero like this.
  9. NekyZero

NekyZero New Member

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it

10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

It's soooooo hard trying to be good in this thread . . .

Z

GH#75, Jeffjay and Robert Ransom like this.
  11. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Tighten up that chinstrap.

12. paddyman98

We are here to help..

Others are here to make jokes.. I hope they keep thier unnecessary jokes in check.

13. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard The CT Train and please don't mind the occasional chuckle. Some of us get playful at times, but it's all in good fun.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Neky!

It is usually best if you limit each thread to only one coin. There will be less confusion that way, and it is more likely that responders will go into greater detail in their explanations.

Since you're new to numismatic errors, it might be a good idea for you to learn how coins are made. For every true error you might find, there are millions of coins floating around that have been damaged in circulation.

This link can get you started.
    Coin Production Terminology | How Coins Are Made | U.S. Mint

15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

A warm welcome to CT @NekyZero. Thank you for posting photos in Full Image, but as said above, cropping them to show just the coin would really help. There are several free apps online that allow you to do so if you don't already have an app. Good luck.

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Draft saved Draft deleted