Can anyone tell me what kind of coin this is ?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Gustav, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Gustav

Gustav New Member

I hope someone can give me some more information about this coin, I've found out its Persian around 360-380. But they all look the same.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Welcome to the forum! :D Are you sure that's a real coin? Maybe it is, I don't know anything about ancients, someone will let you know. ;)

Gustav likes this.
  4. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

The coin is a modern cast replica.

Gustav likes this.
  5. Gustav

Gustav New Member

Thanks for your reply, Can you tell me how you see its a modern cast replica ?

6. kaparthy

The surfaces are "soapy" with very small bubbles all across. The devices, the image and legend are "soft." Even if a coin is worn from use, all of the edges are sharper and better defined, even as they are flatter.

See for just one resource this webpage from the very reliable numismatic dealers at Calgary Coin:
    http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/fakes/cast.htm

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

8. kaparthy

If you are interested in the coin and want to own an original, they can be a bit pricey, but considering that these are all essentially museum pieces, you have a bit of history in your home for a day or two's wages earned and saved:

I went to VCOINS, a trusted network of competing sellers. And I entered SHAPUR in the search box. Shapur is the name of several Sassanian kings. Your coin is a replica of one of theirs. The hits returned can be found here.

9. Gustav

Gustav New Member

I want to thank everyone for their answers.

Draft saved Draft deleted