Can anyone tell me what exactly this coin is please....

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mark spencer, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Mark spencer

Mark spencer New Member

image.jpg image.jpg ...and rough idea of grade and value please . image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi, Great coins if their authentic. the first one reminds me of the Hibernia half penny. Used in British colonial America. but they were copper. Not sure what these are though. I would do some research on British coins , minted in the 1700,s... good luck and have fun with it...http://www.coindatabase.com/coin_libras_sort_kings2.php?id=2277

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I believe the technical terms are:\

copies.

But I've been wrong before

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Don't want to hijack the thread, but what was the first year Britain put denominations on coins...and what is this one supposed to be, I agree it is a copy.

6. StGauden658

StGauden658 Junior Member

I think they are English Shillings. 1st one King George II dated 1747 and the second one (nice condition) King George III dated 1787. They have silver content. Quick check to see if they are authenic would be the magnet test, weight and measurement of the coins. Hopefully someone who collects these coins will chime in.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Kentucky

8. Mark spencer

Mark spencer New Member

Is it worth getting the one on the right graded properly ?
    Or this one image.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Mark spencer

Mark spencer New Member

They are all 100% real , no fakes ,...is this a USA forum .....is there a UK version or is it mixed

10. Mark spencer

Mark spencer New Member

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

This is a US forum. If you know they're real, its highly likely you know what they are, or you have some idea what they are. The 1787 looks fake to me, I believe it's supposed to be a silver shilling, compare with this real one. Your 1899 is real. Your shilling, I don't think so, jmho. s-l1GeObv600.jpg s-l1Geo600.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The Georgian shillings look OK to me, the George the third coin is not uncommon in that condition. Neither are worth spending money on for grading since the value is modest. All the rest are decent but routine British items.

It's odd, but we see very little in the way of copies of British coins. US and Asian copies a-plenty, but I have seen more contemporary forgeries than modern fakes.

13. Kentucky

This is a forum run in the USA, but we don't discriminate against any coins...even ancients : - )

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The coins in the OP are English shillings, and I don't see anything that looks fake about them (I used to collect these, and just sold my collection of them last month). These are both common coins, especially in these conditions.

The one on the left is George II, and I'd grade it VG. It looks attractive.

The one on the right is George III (you remember, we fought a couple of wars with him...) It is EF details, cleaned/polished. Many of these have been harshly treated over the years. 1787 is probably the most common date for George III shillings.

Draft saved Draft deleted