Can anyone tell me how many ounces of silver the u.s. mint has turned into coinage since its Incepti

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by billy b, Sep 21, 2017.

1. billy b

billy b Active Member

I was wondering where I might be able to obtain this information. I have called The Mint and they gave me another number to call which I guess was another part of the mint and I spoke with the lady, who told me she doesn't have any idea. She said she will research my question and send me an email, but I have gotten no response or reply. Just wondering if any of you dealers might have the answer to my question. Thank you and have a nice day

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Maybe you can get a Redbook, and add up all the mintages, multiply by the weights, compensate for the fineness, etc. Good luck. I've been waiting well over a year to hear from the Mint with an answer to one of my "easy" questions!

GerardV and paddyman98 like this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

easy:
    a lot!

Insider and paddyman98 like this.
  5. billy b

billy b Active Member

I have a red book. But there are a lot of dates that show no listings of mintages for the year. I was just wondering if anybody had a hypothesis on what the real number is. I would guess that the number must be in the billions or even trillions of troy ounces have been minted by the u.s. mint.

6. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

I think it was 2 billion+ ounces, but many coin books will have that info. You will just have to waste an awful lot of time adding it all up, or email NN.

7. billy b

billy b Active Member

Yeah Frank you're sure right about that. Sure is a whole lot.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The question I have is... Why do you want to know this?
    I would want to know the weight in pounds, which is probably in the tons.

9. billy b

billy b Active Member

Paddyman98. I am wondering because of spot price. The natural ratio of silver 2 gold coming out of the ground is between 16 and 18 two one.paddyman98 my thoughts and prayers are with your family on the island I hope everyone fared well and is ok

10. Daniel Jones

I forgot to mention that much of that silver was from previously melted silver coins, and some of that silver was from foreign coins that were melted.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  11. Daniel Jones

I did not know something bad happened to mr. Padilla. I have been away from here for too many month's.

12. billy b

billy b Active Member

That is true Daniel. I forgot about the Pittman Act.

13. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

there are coin population data bases all over the internet that you can download for free, usually csv or excel format database files. many of these are complete up through some recent year, certainly nearly all of them through 1964, and the modern mintage figures you could easily get from a wikipedia page if you massage the data some. this put in a spreadsheet you could easily calculate and get the number you seek. as a computer programmer i can see this as a fairly trivial task, but a bit time consuming, no more than a day's work, less if i got lucky finding the data sources. let me know if you need help. i love stuff like this.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  14. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Dam, mine adding machine just broke .
    You own me a new one Billy ...

Lol ............................................

[​IMG]

GerardV, FBLfinder and Daniel Jones like this.
  15. Daniel Jones

I am not billy, but I sure would love it if I had a computer programmer help me figure out a bunch of things.

16. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

Like what? You'd be amazed what you can accomplish just learning a few tricks and becoming aware of free tools. I'm sympathetic to your cause. Ask away.

17. Daniel Jones

I have been wanting to post images of my favorite collections, but I am such an amateur at computers that the only way I could do that is having someone from Geek Squad or something come over and do it for me. Some people here would like to see a couple of the collections I am working on.

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I do not know about current publications, but I have a copy of the Mint's " Domestic and Foreign Coins Manufactured by mints of the United States, 1792-1965" which is inclusive of those years and quite complete. It was for sale by the superintendent of Documents. US Government Print office in Washington 20402. Original cost was 40 cents. That would be a good start. I tried to find a version on the current GPO website, but gave up. Jim

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I'm taking the over on 2 billion ounces.
    I don't have the mintage on 2017 ASEs but the ASE's alone are 1/2 billion ounces. I have completed the 3 cent silver and 1/2 dimes.
    Dimes, quarters, halves, dollars and commems to come.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  20. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

Do you have a scanner?

21. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

Dont you worry about that billy... ive got my best people on and we are working in shifts day and night to get you this answer.

Are we counting Modern Commemorative too? We may have to start over if that's the case.
    vintage-computers-1970s-modern-office.jpg

GerardV likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted