Can anyone tell me about this coin and if it holds any value?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by 4Ritamari, May 24, 2018.

1. 4Ritamari

4Ritamari New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 4Ritamari

4Ritamari New Member

It’s a 1977

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's a beat-up quarter. Can't read the date in those pix.

Value? 25 cents, if it's dated 1965 or later. About $2.98 by today's silver prices if it's dated 1964 or earlier.

Edit- aha. 1977 is copper-nickel clad. It's worth a quarter, then.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

spend it

Two Dogs likes this.
  6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

It's not worthless.
    It's worth 25 cents.

If you always hold it you'll never be broke. Although it's lead a hard life all worn and banged up and such.

7. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

It looks damaged.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Totally damaged but worth face value. Don't use it in a vending machine or a parking meter. Welcome to CT.

juris klavins likes this.
  9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I
    Is there anyone here who collects severely damaged coins? If so, he/she should send me a PM and I would gladly pass it on for a SASE. I found a NC state quarter in the Coinstar reject bin yesterday that is almost unrecognizable as such. In fact, if someone started a thread on the most damaged coins found this one would probably win.

10. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

11. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Is that coin of any value ??? Are you being serious ???

12. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

13. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

It is usually best to get rid of those coins as tips, give them to a teller to swap out at a bank, etc. Most coinstars and bank counting machines reject damaged coins.

14. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

?

15. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

+1

I thought it might have been this thread, but, no, it isn't.

Someone wrote informatively in a thread of some of the later clad quarters that are actually worth more than face value. At the time I wasn't thinking of these sorts of things, but since the first clad quarters are now 50+ years old, maybe they are worth a second look. My wife got a pristine 1965 in change the other day, but since I don't know much about them I thought I'd ask.

16. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

An abused quarter.

17. Spark1951

Did a little research on this and came up with a thread about clad quarters on the NGC chat board. The thread has over 200 posts beginning last 6 Jan. There is a lot of contradictory information regarding clad quarters, their current and future strength in the market and much, much more.

Some of the posters believe only high end coins will spur future demand, while others contend that business strikes were so poorly made, that the majority of the populace hated them, that no one collected MS60-63. Also, that demand may spur interest but the supply will not materialize.

The title of the thread is "Is the Clad Quarter Market Strong?". A lot of good info and good arguments made...Spark

LA_Geezer likes this.
  18. Spark1951

See my post #16. To illustrate clad quarter value, I went to NGC's price guide and found for business strike 1965:
    AU58/.52
    MS60/.60
    MS61/.75
    MS62/.85 and
    MS63/$1.75

One might conclude clad coinage is appreciating. This trend presumes that clad dimes are also.

Nowadays, however, most clads from the '60s are completely smooth, worn out battered husks much like the OP's coin, you are lucky to find a AU58. You are much more likely to come across coins that are 50/53/55...from normal circulation...Spark

LA_Geezer likes this.
  19. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

If the quarter is dated 1964 or before, it is worth silver value. If it is dated 1965 or later, it's worth face value.

20. MajorMatt

MajorMatt Junior Member

Spend it. Total value 25¢.

Draft saved Draft deleted