Can anyone spare a grade? :P

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Steamandlight, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Steamandlight

Steamandlight Active Member

I have a few coins I really want an idea of the grades on. My LCS owner notoriously lies about grades, I cannot trust a word he says. I do not have any knack for grading. And I do not know any other coin collectors IRL.

Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

1921 peace dollar:
    IMG_4899.JPG IMG_4900.JPG
    1857 seated liberty quarter (uploading caused it to rotate and I do not know how to fix it):
    IMG_4910.JPG IMG_4912.JPG
    2x 1943/2P war nickel overdate:
    IMG_4929.JPG IMG_4931.JPG
    1921 mercury dime:
    IMG_4953.JPG IMG_4954.JPG
    1895S morgan dollar:
    IMG_4971.JPG IMG_4972.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'll admit that I paid most attention to the Quarter Dollar as I am in the market for one. My opinion is it is a solid VF35. The reverse looks better, probably XF40, but the obverse is what brings it down for me since there is a lot of rub on her hand, head, and Liberty Cap. I tend to grade conservatively so you might get XF40 out of a few folks and I welcome their opinion. I think it's a beautiful coin.

The 1921 Dollar appears to be cleaned. Maybe XF? These are not my forte and the scratch marks make it hard to see.

I'm unclear which nickel you wanted the grade on, but I'm assuming the lower one? I would need to see a reverse of that to give you anything. Also, it would be great if you could zoom in on the coin a little more.

Mercury Dime, I'd say AG03.

On the Morgan, I'd say F-12 Details (possibly cleaned)

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Like I said in the other thread, the 1921 Peace dollar looks like XF details to me, possibly AU if that's luster lurking in the protected areas -- but it's been scrubbed to death. :( I don't have a terrible grudge against detailed coins, but you can expect a dealer to bad-mouth it and offer a pittance. It would probably do well on eBay.

I'm not too comfortable grading the other coins. The 1895S Morgan looks like it might be problem-free; I'm guessing VG, but it's just from staring at Photograde online.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Please re image the coins and when posting select full size images. You will need to image both the obv. And rev. Of the coins,both sides.The 1943 Jefferson one is the 43/2 variety however trying to give you an honest reply to the condition of all you have posted can't be done with the images you have posted .

6. Steamandlight

Steamandlight Active Member

Ok. I will try to take new pictures later this evening. These were as good and clear as I could get last night, but I'm game to try again. I would have added more of the nickels but there was that pesky 10 image limit. (I honestly THOUGHT the images of the rest of them were clear enough, aside from the nickels... not sure how much better of images I can possibly take. Not arguing... I will try :) Just commenting)

BOTH nickels are 1943/2, out of about 100 I checked. I got lucky. I'll easily do better pictures of both of them later. Right now, I am trying to help my friend move stuff out of my apartment :p This will take hours.

7. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

By Clicking on your images, they enlarged enough to make and educated guess as to grades. Remember, the best way to grade is to have the coin in your hand. I would suggest that if there is no one in your area that can grade for you , you should buy a copy of "Photograde: Official Photographic Grading Guide for United States Coins". It has pictures of US coins in grades from good to Uncirculated and you can match your coin to one in the book to get a pretty accurate grade. You can probably pick up a copy on eBay or Amazon.

IMHO I would give the following grades:
    Peace Dollar (rarer date) VF appears to have been cleaned.
    Liberty Seated Quarter: XF - nice coin, may be cleaned
    Jefferson Nickels: VF
    Mercury Dime: G
    Morgan Dollar: F no details in breast, little in wings lowers obverse grade of VF

8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'd recommend downloading PhotoScape (free software) and then round cropping the image and saving this. Doing that reduces the background size and makes the photo larger when we click on it. It also makes the coin look cleaner :) I can walk you through the steps if you need.

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Photobucket also works nicely

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I have a new HP all in one printer, scanner, etc. I've found hat as long as the coin is raw, the scanner does a good job of giving a very viewable JPEG. Unfortunately, if the coin is slabbed, the scanner tends to focus on the slab and not the coin, that's when I go back to my camera.

I'm fortunate, I have Photoshop and it really does wonders with pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted