Can Anyone Identify This?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by John Johnson, Jun 27, 2018.

1. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I bought this coin about 30 years ago, but I still have no idea what it actually is. I bought it because it was cheap (I think I paid $2 if I remember right), and because of the date, 1795. At that time, it was the oldest coin I had. I believe the metal is brass. I apologize for my poor photography skills. I blame the lens.
    Obverse.jpg Reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Looks like a George III spade guinea... thinking it is an imitation token.

John Johnson and carpman98 like this.
  4. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Yes it is a Spade guinea gaming token from the early 19th century, made of Brass. If you post it in the exonumia thread under Coin Chat someone will probably be able to tell you exactly who is advertising through it. The name under the bust and the lettering around the side on the reverse all means something to the right expert.

Spark1951, John Johnson, Nas and 2 others like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

SIMCOX was the maker
    Imitations such as this one were often used for advertising purposes or as counters for gambling

John Johnson and Kasia like this.
  6. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Not absolutely certain, but isn't the "coin" of George IV ?

7. daveydempsey

No it has III above his head and Georgius is spelt GEORGIVS

8. John Johnson

A little confession. Right after I bought the coin (I bought it from an antique shop) I took it to a coin shop and asked the owner if he knew what it was. He said it was 'probably a gaming token.' I didn't think he knew what he was talking about. Turns out I was wrong.

Anyway, I just put the coin in a cookie can I have full of tokens and nonAmerican coins. There are about 1,000 coins and tokens in that can. I occasionally open it, but not very often. I started thinking about that coin a few days ago, after joining this site, so I dug through the can and found it, and took a couple of pics to post this. Well, as soon as I posted, I saw that word simcox at the bottom. I had never noticed that before. So I googled it and found out that the guy at that coin shop so many years ago was correct. It was a gambling token. I decided to keep my post up, anyway, because I thought it might generate some interesting comments.

I found one on ebay today. The seller is asking $50, but it is graded XF details by NGC and in much better condition than mine. Mine might actually be worth a few dollars, though.

Theodosius likes this.
  9. John Johnson

Yep. I never noticed that before today. Thanks!

10. Bert Gedin

George the IIIrd it is, then !

John Johnson likes this.
  11. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Made by George Simcox in his brass foundry in Birmingham.

:)

John Johnson likes this.
  12. Nas

Nas Well-Known Member

i do have one.
    20180627_205303-1.jpg 20180627_205328-1.jpg

John Johnson likes this.
  13. John Johnson

14. Bert Gedin

George Simcox and his brass foundry in Birmingham. Is that Birmingham in Alabama, U.S.A., or Birmingham, U.K. If the latter, as I am one of the locals, I could find out some matters here. If in Alabama, I don't have a banjo on my knee !!!

15. daveydempsey

UK

16. Bert Gedin

Thanx, davey. That's the answer I needed. Give me some time, and I will attempt to get further info.

Draft saved Draft deleted