Can Anyone Identify This Coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ryanleesparks, Jun 13, 2013.

1. ryanleesparks

ryanleesparks New Member

I dug this coin up in my yard in Eastern Oregon. I have looked through several hundred similar looking coins but this one seems to be unique. I am having a very difficult time identifying this coin. If anyone can tell me what it is and maybe an approximate value it would be greatly appreciated. Along with this coin there was a nice piece of jade. The town where I dug this up used to have underground Chinese tunnels, so I'm guessing it is Chinese but I have no idea when or where it came from. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

Yes, it is a Chinese cash coin.

The inscription reads shun zhi tong bao (顺治通宝) and it was cast at the mint in Kaifeng, Henan Province during the years 1660-1661 of the reign of the Shunzhi Emperor of the Qing Dynasty.

I do not know prices but it is a fairly common coin.

Gary

4. ryanleesparks

ryanleesparks New Member

Thank You Gary! I thought it was an old coin but I was not aware it was that old. If I come across anymore I will post them on here!

5. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Have to ask... Why were there underground Chinese tunnels in Eastern Oregon???

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The Chinese ran businesses that were not quite in the favour of the authorities during that time - there were similar instances in San Francisco, Idaho etc where Chinese miners, labourers lived and worked - they had followers that appealed to the prurient interests. Not much different than their Caucasian contemporaries - the one difference was that the latter got away with much more in the open than Asians did during that time.

7. ryanleesparks

ryanleesparks New Member

8. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

I had no idea, I will check it out.

9. ryanleesparks

ryanleesparks New Member

Thanks for your help, since we last talked I have spent hours on the web searching for anything with the same markings as the back. I have not been able to find any with the same markings. could you tell me what they might be?

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Hartill 22.72 - Kaifeng, Henan mint with mint name 'He' bilingual Manchu and Chinese on reverse.

11. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

Just to add to what Doug has said, to the left of the square hole is the Manchu character for bao (宝). To the right of the hole is the Chinese character he (河) which is the abbreviation for Henan Province (河南).

The mint in Henan Province was located in Kaifeng.

More information concerning this coin may be found here. Your coin is a "type 5".

An image of a similar coin may be seen here.

Gary

12. ryanleesparks

ryanleesparks New Member

13. ryanleesparks

ryanleesparks New Member

also thank you manymore

Draft saved Draft deleted