Can anyone help with this coin?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by biged239, Jul 26, 2011.

1. biged239

biged239 Member

I recieved this in a bag of mixed tokens and metals. Can anyone give history and value to this coin?
    Lord Metal ob.jpg Lord Metal rev.jpg
    Thanks Big Ed

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I believe that is a Mormon ten dollar gold piece from Salt Lake City. Or a replica of one.

ps:
    While no gold was discovered in Utah, Mormon prospectors brought large quantities of California gold back to the Salt Lake City area. Brigham Young conceived the idea of a distinctive Mormon coinage, and four denominations of two-and-one-half, five, ten, and twenty-dollar coins were struck in 1849-50.

4. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

Do you know the weight of your coin?

5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I also should mention, it does look like a cast copy.

6. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Yes, it's a copy Big Ed.

Bruce

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I agree - It is not genuine.

8. biged239

biged239 Member

Thanks everyone. I got this in a junk bag, so no loss in money. But the educational value is great. I just started with a few metals and tokens to add to my collection. I will mark as replica and place it in with my other China fakes.

9. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

That kind of stuff is still interesting to have Big Ed as long as you realize what you have and mark it for what it is. I have a "collection" of real oddball exonumia...Ok, it's junk. It consists of pretty much anything that looks like money. Arcade tokens, replica coins, play money, magician's coins, etc. etc. I even keep them in 2x2's like my regular collection. I call it my "Americana Collection" to make it sound better than what it is. Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig, but it works for me. :D

Bruce

10. 1coin4me

1coin4me New Member

Please see my posting under how to post, I am asking for help in finding out about a coin that I have come across. Any help would be appreciated.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

For anyone who is interested, it's post #93 in this thread......http://www.cointalk.com/t8567/#

Draft saved Draft deleted