can anyone help with grading this memorial cent?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by 16ga, Apr 26, 2024.

1. 16ga

16ga New Member

Its nothing of value but I'm trying to learn how to grade these things. What are your opinions?
    P9230552.JPG
    P9230538.JPG

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

MS-61. It doesn't have any wear, but it's got noticeable scratch on Lincoln's cheek which is a focal point. It also has little eye appeal.

ldhair and Kentucky like this.
  4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

It is a zinc cent. It only has a copper coat, and it is spotting. Because it has begun to deteriorate it would not grade. Try a cent earlier with a date prior to 1982. Good luck and welcome to CT.

5. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. If you are trying to learn I suggest you try Photo Grade on the PCGS web site. Then post your coin and tell us what you think the grade should be and why.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  6. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Disagree. I see evidence of circulation at the eyebrow, top of the ear and the hair above the ear. As such it is AU58+ at best, probably closer to a straight 58.

The reverse pic is useless, the OPs finger moved the cam/scope when he took the picture rendering it blurry…imo…Spark

7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I agree, the photos are a little out of focus. The importance of proper background is illustrated here. The wood grain is in focus but the coin is not.

The larger bag dings are obvious but any surface wear may be obscured with the blurry pictures. Otherwise, the coin appears in great shape.

8. 16ga

16ga New Member

Thank you everyone.
    MS-61 was actually my guess but I wanted to hear what others thought first. I'm more used to older more worn coins so i wanted to see what others thought before giving my opinion.

I'm sorry for the quality of the photos. But thanks for the advice. Any plain background should work better then?
    I have to work on a new set up for taking detailed pictures. Its been a decade since I last did so.

9. Kevin Mader

Have a look at this setup. A simple home solution that may work for you. A flat background along with lifting the specimen off the surface will help the camera focus on your coin rather than the surrounding. Modern tech tries to find a balance but can sometimes get lost on what you are aiming to do.

IMG_5913.jpeg IMG_5912.jpeg IMG_5911.jpeg

10. Kevin Mader

Here’s another setup. Note that the chartreuse background is a poor choice. It reflects the light. The blue background was a better choice. You’ll find that for copper coins, one background works well but is terrible for a nickel or dime. Do have a few choices. Flat black works pretty well in most applications.

IMG_4591.jpeg IMG_4590.jpeg IMG_4589.jpeg IMG_4588.jpeg IMG_4587.jpeg

11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

A key point is the wear on the bottom of his coat and shoulder

Spark1951 likes this.
  12. 16ga

16ga New Member

Thanks Kevin.

Thanks.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  13. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I would call it a lightly spotted AU-55.

It's a pretty nice coin for the date but it won't grade.

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Even with the best photos available: in focus, plain back ground, cropped photo, lighting from two of more souces, I have trouble telling anything. Grading from photos, and not so good ones, is just a crap shot, imho

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted