Can anyone help me to identify this?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by StilloesEmporium, Jul 29, 2021.

1. StilloesEmporium

StilloesEmporium Active Member

Hello!

I tried to do some research on this bar but I am not having any luck with finding something that is exactly the same. I have found similar with but with different lettering. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

• Bar.jpg
      Bar.jpg
      File size:
      307.9 KB
      Views:
    • Bar 2.jpg
      Bar 2.jpg
      File size:
      385.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Rather than posting that I know absolutely nothing on the subject but I'm goin to post my ignorant :bucktooth: opinion anyway …:troll: :smuggrin: I'll go first:

This is just my "gut" reaction to the piece: Looks like a fantasy of some kind. Not mint quality.

StilloesEmporium likes this.
  4. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

If they're Japanese, I should have an answer as to what they say, as soon as my son responds. Dunno if that'll help in any way. And for what it's worth, they look like pot-metal things to me.

EDIT: My son just responded; it's either Chinese, or pre-WWII Japanese, both of which he doesn't read. So, no help here, sorry.

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Look into Annam-Viet-Nam, they were using similar pieces in the 19th century but they are very heavily counterfeited.

7. StilloesEmporium

Thank you everyone for your help! I greatly appreciate it!

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

If you have, or know someone that does, a metal testing kit, rub a small amount on the stone and see if it is silver. Could be silver plated if it is a fake, but something else to investigate.

9. StilloesEmporium

Ok, I will look into that. Thank you!

10. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Just for searchablilty, the two sides say:
    同慶年造 tóng qìng nián zào
    內帑銀五錢 nèi tǎng yín wǔ qián

My guess would be "Celebrate the year together; contains 5 mace of silver"
    The strokework looks a bit crude and not connected in strange places, almost as if it was made by someone not fluent in Chinese. My guess is some kind of replica.

11. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

On closer inspection, 同慶 is the era name of Vietnamese Emperor Đồng Khánh (1885-1888). So it's probably commemorating his ascension year. Just like the one mentioned above by @Mountain Man has 明命 = Minh Mạng on it (1820–1841).
    I still strongly suspect it's a modern replica, though.
    You might estimate the density to guess if it's actually silver at least.

12. StilloesEmporium

Here's some more information, I don't know if this helps or not but I thought I might include it. It weighs 21.5 grams and it is non-magnetic. Will probably get it tested to see if it's silver or not just to verify.

13. StilloesEmporium

Thank you for you help!

Draft saved Draft deleted