Can anyone help me identify what is up with this 1942 Nickel.....4.1 gram WEIGHT!!!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by smithmi420, May 23, 2017.

1. smithmi420

smithmi420 New Member

I frequently coin roll search and save all of my change until I can get a good look at it!! Recently I got back change from a local store and there were a few 1942 Nickels in there. When I got home and looked I realized none were silver but one just felt very light and just not quite right so I threw it on my scale to check....4.1 Grams.......I have even went to the two coin shops in my small town but there are astonished with it!! If it was on a penny planchet it would be just over 3 grams, this is right in between that and the weight it should be 5.0 (Though u will find 4.8-5.3 depending) The Nickel itself is worn but even the coin dealers thought it was still in the VF++++ area, I'm just lost and nobody has any ideas, except a fake which both dealers confirmed it was 100% Authentic!!!!!! I'm not sure if it matters but like I said it's not the Silver version, it's just the basic version

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The pic you posted is not a good one, but that coin is certainly not VF++++, nor is it even close. I'd find a coin dealer with more knowledge and better eye sight than the ones you've been visiting.
    It looks as though it's had an acid bath. Acid will remove some of the metal from all surfaces equally.
    Better photos might persuade me to change my mind, but I doubt it.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

If it was on a Cent Planchet it would be smaller in circumference and made of copper. Circulation wear can be a reason for the weight difference.

5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Could be a thin rolled planchet - look it up on error-ref.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

We need a better image to tell anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted