Can anyone help ID this coin? Medieval? Polish?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Neal, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

IMG_8271.JPG IMG_8268.JPG My son (not a collector) traveled to Poland and bought me this coin as a souvenir, but I can't ID it. It appears to be billon, about 18 mm, and very thin (I don't have an accurate scale). One side is fairly well centered, but the other side shows parts of two coins, as if struck in a plate with several coins (like we would print money) and cut out afterward.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi, It looks like a type of Swedish Lavonia Christina Solodis 1636. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces41643.html The minting method used a Walzwerk machine,then coins were cut out afterwards, Like you mention. Many coins are mint errors like the one you have posted. In fact correctly aligned examples are rarer than the errors. walzwerk_coin_machine.jpg

Oldhoopster and Neal like this.
  4. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Thanks!

old49er likes this.
  5. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

This is really fascinating. I had more or less guessed the means of production (except I didn't think of a roller), but your reply has led me in the right direction to do more research on the history. That makes my son's gift more meaningful. Again, thank you very much!

old49er likes this.
  6. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Glad I could help. :) I only had a good lead on this because I picked up a Free City of Riga coin awhile back and recognized the crossed keys of Lavonia. I had researched the minting method also, so thought I would add it to the reply. Have fun with your coin research, it really adds a new dimension knowing the History and such.

Neal likes this.
  7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Neal likes this.
  8. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Riga under the Swedish rule. XVII century. Solid. Billon. Ruler: queen Chrisrina.

9. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Like that coin.
    131.jpg 132.jpg

Neal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted