Can anyone help estimate the value ? ?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jerry1979, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Jerry1979

Jerry1979 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jerry1979

Jerry1979 Active Member

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I refuse to lay on my side or stand on my head to view your photos so as I see them sitting in my chair I believe it to be as follows:

1864 Gilded Brass 24 mm Round

Obverse:
    Bust in military uniform 3/4 left
    Lettering: GEORGE B. McCLELLAN
    G.H.

Reverse:
    Eagle facing left, wings outstretched, 13-striped shield on breast, myrtle branch in left claw, 3 arrows in right claw surrounding legend with star dividing
    Lettering: THE UNION MUST AND SHALL BE PRESERVED

The edge should be Reeded

It's a political campaign token. McClellan was the Democrat presidential candidate in 1864. It appears to be the variety listed as No. GMcC 1864-25 in American Political Badges and Medalets, 1789-1892 by Edmund B. Sullivan.

Numerous campaign tokens were created and handed out by candidates during this time frame along the campaign trail. Some were manufactured with holes in them, most were not. Condition is everything when placing a value on them. I do not profess to be an expert in this area but I believe this is one of the harder to find tokens of McClellan. I do not know what would be a current value but I would expect to pay around $150.00 for this.

5. Jerry1979

Jerry1979 Active Member

Very good information,thank you so much .i have wondered for a while about this one. I really appreciate your help and opinion. I'm a happy camper. Sorry about the pictures in a newb

6. Jerry1979

Jerry1979 Active Member

I also have another McClellan token, wonder if that one is also a campaign token

7. Collecting Nut

Without seeing a photo, I'd say yes. Seeing a photo probably won't change my mind either. McClellan, Lincoln, Grant and numerous others had these produced for campaigning. If they ran for President or any other political office, it's a campaign token. :)

8. Jerry1979

Jerry1979 Active Member

9. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

If it were a Civil War Token there would be a date on it. Collecting nut has nailed it as a campaign issue. I definitely agree.

10. Jerry1979

Jerry1979 Active Member

Its in the cwt book 138-434b .im referring to the second token. But yes I believe he nailed the first one exactly imo

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

And Jeb bush was handing out tiny rubber frogs lol.

Jerry1979 likes this.
  12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

FYI: As a member of the Civil War Society, I can tell you that without a date, many of the collectors who are purists, would not buy it. Several reverses and obverses were on hard times tokens (Pre - Civil War) and campaign issues (Nothing to do about the Civil War, just politics as usual). Even though Melvin and George Fuld included them rightfully in their catalog, the date clinches the authenticity of when it was struck and for what reason. Many merchants were aware of this and would not normally accept them as barter. Infact, it was for these reasons that Congress finally passed a law restricting private individuals from attempting to make coinage as a legal form of exchange.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  13. Jerry1979

Jerry1979 Active Member

Wow interesting, although this particular token is a patriotic civil war token which many patriotic cwt did not carry a date on them. Even with that said , I do agree that a date would without a doubt confirm the status as a civil war token. Have ran this one by Steve Hayden who agrees with its authenticity as a civil war token. patriotic, not merchant to be used at a store. I would like to hear more on the subject as always. Thank you for the information and it would make things easier if everyone (merchants) had to place a date on their tokens

14. Jerry1979

Jerry1979 Active Member

It very well may be a McClellan campaign token , but it would have to be for when he ran against Lincoln circa 1864 ? just a thought

15. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

What brought all this to a head was a conflict between the Third Avenue Railroad and Gustavus Lindenmueller. When the railroad tried to collect their one cent value, he laughed it off. There was no recourse. I own one of his beer hall pieces as I do NORFED Liberty Dollars.

16. Jerry1979

Jerry1979 Active Member

Absolutely, I just got through telling lindenmuellers story to my fiancee. absolutely correct, that's what started the ban on privately made tokens / currency.

saltysam-1 likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

As for the last picture posted:

I believe it to be a Campaign Token made of copper. It should measure app. 3/4" across, with a plain edge. The obverse pictures the popular leader of the Union Army who challenged the incumbent Abraham Lincoln during the 1864 election, and the gentleman is in uniform facing left, with "General G.B. McClellan" around the portrait. The reverse pictures a splendid eagle perched atop the upper half of a world globe, with "United States Copper" around.

It is identified in De Witt's reference as GMcC 1864-33, as well as being pictured and identified in Rulau's token reference. It's common and should sell for about $5.00 in excellent condition. Yours has 2 rim dings on the obverse (12 and 7 o'clock) where it took a hit.

18. Jerry1979

Jerry1979 Active Member

Its actually made of brass and is the most rare of this particular token if I'm not mistaken, others in copper are r1 s. this particular brass is a r6 . 138-434b In the fuld patriotic book

19. Jerry1979

Jerry1979 Active Member

I have never seen another in brass , they ARE common in copper though

20. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Kanzinger's 2002 book lists the 138/434a at $18 (F/VF), $22 (XF) & $30 (UNC).
    The 138/434b lists at $35 (F/VF), $60 (XF) and $90 (UNC). Recent prices, IMO, are now roughly 2x-3x Kanzinger's assigned values. If the color in the pics are close to the actual token, I would have a strong leaning towards copper as the material. Granted, there were wide variances of percentages of metals used in the various diesinker's mixes, and some issues are not easy to determine the metal designation. I checked ebay for price references, but the only one currently offered is an AU copper variety in a slab for the bargain (cough-cough) price of $159 - typical example of why I skip over slabbed tokens.

Draft saved Draft deleted