Can anyone guess what this is ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bcuda, Jul 12, 2020.

1. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

I used to have one of these just like this but somehow lost it or was stolen.
    Anyway I never would have imagined I would see another one let alone have
    the chance to buy one. Sorry I just have to share this with someone and
    Coin Talk is by far the best place for me to share.

I will tell the whole story about it after someone here can guess what it is.
    Ill give you a few clues, it is not a coin, and if you have read any of my posts talking about where I lived before and found a lot of my ancient coins it might help.

So please make your guesses !

s-l1600a-removebg-preview.png

Alegandron, ominus1 and DonnaML like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

An ancient Grecian anchor made of basalt and found near the city of Athena.

4. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

Thank you for trying , not even close though.

Another hint is it is from around the 1600s time frame

5. Robert Ransom

John Watts' cravat pin. 1550-1616 and former Lord Mayor of London.

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Ah. So modern then?

7. Robert Ransom

Loyal Order of Masons pin.

8. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Bcuda, it looks like an upside down grenadier badge. Not the type that would go on a hat but the kind that was sewn on to coat tails to keep them folded back.

ominus1 and bcuda like this.
  9. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

A flaming grenade...if the image is flipped 180 degrees?

bcuda likes this.
  10. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

You are close enough yes it is upside down and it looks a grenadiers pin. It is an Artillery (Exploding cannon ball) type applique that has two very crude square sided nails on the back that would have been applied on some kind of wood. And if they had grenades in the 1600s then possibly perhaps a crate of cannonballs or grenades ? I am not sure. It is very very thick so as not to bend when hammered into some wood.

Now for the story I had one exactly like this one that I had found in Spain and this one that I bought is also from Spain. It is basically the same exact one I had that I found metal detecting. Some times during the winter time in Spain and when a big Northern storm would come in there was a beach I would go metal detect the very next day and I would find loads and loads of Spanish 8 maravedis coins from the early 1600s from a Spanish ship wreck that was close by that has washed up from the storm. My friend and I would get up early and hit that beach and come home with all kinds of stuff. I had found one of these just like in the pic above at that same site and somehow lost it. My friend found a flint lock what we called a blunder buster gun with some of the wood still intact (had barnacles growing all over it) there also. This area we would metal detect had some large naval battles with the Spanish and English and was rich in artifacts. I just never thought I would ever see one again. Am pretty excited to have a second one.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  11. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Certainly looks like a grenadiers badge. I have a current one turned upside down; sorry no pic to send.

12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...uh..ole Hispanicus knew it...and i'll give @Robert Ransom the title of most prolific guesser award...:D

bcuda and Robert Ransom like this.
  13. Robert Ransom

Does that count as points on CT? If not I will settle for a few likes. :)

14. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

The "flaming bomb" is the insignia of the U.S. Army Ordnance Corps:
    Ordnance Corps Symbols.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted