Can anyone answer this for me?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by edteach, Mar 31, 2023.

1. edteach

edteach Well-Known Member

I was watching a few episodes of Pawn Stars. Rick has in several episodes on Ancients that they stuck the coins with 5 foot hammers. I can not find anything on this. From all I have found it shows maybe a normal mallet or hammer or a bit longer but I have found nothing on 5 foot hammers. It just does not make sense to me as control would be 10x harder. Thanks for any answers.

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Wow, that does sound excessive. The planchets were typically heated I believe, so there shouldn't have been a need for that much striking force.

4. edteach

edteach Well-Known Member

That is what I thought. 5 feet is long enough to make it very difficult to control. A heavier hammer on a shorter handle would give more control and the same force as a 5 foot one. I just don't see any advantage to it.

5. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I feel like you could get more force with the five foot hammer, and someone accustomed to striking all day could be quite accurate. Like chopping logs. But I’ve never read about hammer size one way or another.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Watch those gandy dancers that drive railroad spikes all day how difficult it is. The head of the hammer goes where it was trained to go. Pawn Stars is scripted and choreographed for sensationalism.

Tall Paul and sand like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think a five foot hammer swung hard enough to make a coin explains why so many ancient coins were struck off centered. Lol

Evan Saltis and Inspector43 like this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I watched a guy mutilate his chin, a 12 pnd hammer can do a lot of damage, seems excessive for a coin.

9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I would worry for the guy holding the reverse die at the other end...

Q

panzerman likes this.
  10. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

some coins showing hammer, tongs and anvil.

307793.jpg

T. Carisius. 46 BC. AR Denarius. Head of Juno right / Minting implements, all within wreath: wreathed cap of Vulcan above moneyer’s anvil between tongs and hammer.

6539519.jpg

Valerian I AR Antoninianus. Colonia Agrippinensis, AD 253-260. VALERIANVS P F AVG, radiate and draped bust right / DEO VOLCANO, Vulcan standing left holding hammer and tongs in tetrastyle temple, anvil at his feet. RIC 5

11. MasterVampire

MasterVampire Active Member

I like that tvshow the coin episodes are my favourite ones

12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Me too:dead:

Cucumbor likes this.
  13. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

"Pawn Stars" is not a source for accurate info on numismatics. Here is how it was done. workshop.jpg

ancient times and Cucumbor like this.
  14. Ryan McVay

Ryan McVay Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure that it's a correct depiction either. You would lose your fingers trying to cut out the shapes and hand forming sheet...

Draft saved Draft deleted